My son was just diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus. He is currently on Prilosec 20mg X 2 per day. He has undergone biopsy and endoscopy and I am trying to find information on this problem in kids. He is going to have PH study in five weeks. I’ll appreciate any help about Barrett’s Esophagus. He is teenager and his doctor is not very familiar how to treat teenagers with Barrett’s Esophagus. Is there possibility of malignancy?

The diagnosis of Barrett's Esophagus can be difficult to make in children, perhaps with Careful endoscopy and multiple biopsies. As I know the cases of malignancy in children with Barrett's esophagus is low and most had the cancer at the time Barrett's was diagnosed. I asked my neighbor, he is MD and he said that endoscopic surveillance is important here and should be performed frequently.

Well,
If I am not mistaking here this condition affects the tissue lining of the esophagus is replaced by the similar tissue of the lining of the intestine. This condition is usually found in people who have problems with gastroesophageal reflux disease. You have to know that this condition is very uncommon in children so it is little strange that your son is having this problem. The fact is that there is a small risk that he can develop cancer due to this problem. However Barrett's esophagus may be present for several years before cancer develops. So you need to monitor his condition constantly to avoid any further complication in his life. I hope this helped.

Good luck,
Karel

My daughter was diagnosed with Barret's early this year. She is 18 was 17 at the time.

Does your daughter get regular biopsies?