I am a 16 year old girl and when I eat food I feel it hurting my chest as it goes down. It feels stuck and hurts in my mid-chest. People tell me this is GERD, but I thought GERD was feeling a burning sensation after you eat. I don't have that. I want to know what this is. Is it my esophogus that is hurting?

I'm having the same exact problem. My chest hurts really bad when i swallow food, and it feels like the food is getting stuck.. I do feel a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat when I eat also, so might be a little different. I haven't figured out how to get rid of this yet though, I've had it for about 1 week now.

i have the same problem, i think i may have tore something. i was taking motrin and alot of vit C lately and i know motrin will eat away at the lining of the stomach but i'm wondering if i took some and laid down and it ate at the lining of my esophagus. either way it hurts, i have stuck mainly to a liquid diet and tylenol for pain. i noticed my poop being black so i obviously have an upper GI bleed. its been a week now and i can slowly feel it getting better. so i guess it will go away on its own. i also heard prilosec works but havent tried it. hope this helps somebody.

I just started having the same pain yesterday afternoon. Did any of you find out what this was? did it go away?

I have been having the same problem for about 8 years. Sometimes when I swallow it hurts. It can be food, something to drink, or just saliva. I have to pause at what ever I am doing and hold my breath so that what ever I am eating or drinking can go down. I went to an ENT doctor and he could not find out what was wrong with me. I took three different kind of test and they could not find nothing. If anyone has any other suggestion that may help me, please submit.

Im A 13 year old girl and Whenever i eat something Pain in my chest starts to occur. I dont so much feel the burning sensation but its whenever i eat I feel a Sharp pain in my chest. Everytime i eat i have to pause and wait for my food to go down . This has been a problem for me for quite a while. I would say 2 months , My mom told me it might be GERD- gastroesophageal reflux disease, But im not sure i havent been to a doctor yet. DOes anybody really know what it is ?

i have the same thing. i am getting over strep throat. i think it is just an irritation in your esophagus and when you eat or drink it rubs it and hurts. if it doesn't go away in a few days i'm going back to the doctor...for the fourth time this week

I have the same problem... I learned that it was my medicine (doxycycline) if you don't drink it with enough water that'll happen. It takes about two weeks for the pain to go away completely.

Im having the same problem and im 12 nealy 13 it is killing what is it? :@ cant even eat proper anymore :-(

I am 38 and have the same problem. I have been told this happens with anxiety, but for me I have a furrowing of the throat. This can be caused by GERD, but more commonly it is an allergic reaction or a intolerance to certain foods, like milk, soy, meat, and wheat. It causes your throat to become sore, thick and have ridges. You can have it when your young or develop it later. This can also lead to food impaction in the throat from difficulty swallowing. If it persists for more than a couple of days, go see a Gastrointestinal doctor. They can do an endescopy and look down your throat with a camera to see what may be wrong. Good luck.

Hi Kelly I am not a Doctor , I have been suffering in silence for 12 years With a compliant not to different to yours or maybe the same , when I eat it feels like i have just swallowed a mouthful of steel nuts and bolts and I can almost feel it hitting the bottom , I have Finally seen a specialist and he informs me that it might be the valve where lower pipe meets the upper pipe this valve is to stop the acids from rising up in your chest and the pain you now feel is the scar tissue , and that has been scarred by the acid which came up past the dodgie valve , the Specialist tells me it can be fixed, I'm booked in for a endo? its were they put a camera down your throat and they can see the problem , I am having this done on Saturday coming, The Doctor will then see the problem and treat it, THANK GOD for that !!!

So for anyone suffering from this , please see your doctor and demand to see a Specialist and the pipe down the throat Job to be done ,

Now I'm not sure but my Doctor refered me as a patient suffuring with Dispepsia

Regards one and all

Robert Woodrow

im having that problem rite now it started hurting after i took this medicine that helps with acne now evertime i eat i have to stop cuz it hurts does anyone know wat i should do ooowwww :'(

I noticed that alot of you are all teenage girls, I am a fifteen year old girl and have the same problem. Usually with apples for some reason. Are any of you bullimic ? because i amm and i figured that was what it was from.

Look up information on Schatzki's Ring. It is a constriction on the inside of your esophagus that causes food to stick so that it cannot be fully swallowed. You either have to regurgitate it or work it at long enough to get it to go down. It can get bad enough so that you can't swallow at all or if so, with a lot of pain.

The good news is that it is fairly easy to fix through a gastrointestinal specialist. Basically they put you under, stick a tube down your throat with a "balloon" on the end. They they inflate the balloon and it breaks up the ring. It is all taken care of in just a few hours (counting the time being put under and waking up part and you will go home after that. Swallowing problems are all taken care of immediately and for me there were no side effects of the treatment.

The one down side is that the ring may (but not always) come back. I've had the treatment procedure done twice over a period of about 10 years and will be going in again in about a month. In between treatments, there are no symptoms but for me at least, they just come back rather suddenly so far at an interval of about every 5 years.

that happens to me all the time. when i eat some thing it gets stuck in my chest (not my throat i mean in my chest) and i have horrible pain. it feels like someone is diggin in my chest with a knife. but if i drink something then it goes away. but man it really hurts