I have been searching the internet trying to figure out what might be causing this. It is strange to me and I have not been to the doctor about it because I figure they will tell me I am crazy.

Sometimes when I lay down on my side or move my neck in certain positions it feels like my esophagus gets overlapped. The pain happens on one side only, it isn't on the inside of my throat but on the outside. I can actually feel where it seems separated when I palpatate the area. I have to stretch my neck up and repeatedly swallow to make the pain stop. This process is excruciating - I have to prepare myself for each swallow similar to each contraction while giving birth - it HURTS. This is right under my jaw, so the top of my neck.

Everything I find on the internet discusses the lower esophagus area or sore throat/inside the esophagus. Once I am done stretching the esophagus back into place (this is only what it feels like is happening to me, may not be at all the case) I can swallow fine, without pain but my neck aches for a good while afterwards. Needless to say, I am also nervous about trying to lay back down.

This has happened to be for a few years but it doesn't always happen. I can go for several months without it happening at all and out of nowhere it happens. I'll have a few weeks where it keeps happening then nothing for several months or even a year with no problems.

I do not understand what is happening at all. I really just need to know why it is happening so I can prevent it in the future.

Thank you!

I know exactly what you have experienced. I just experienced this again but it lasted for 4hrs this time. Scary and excruciating. I have had it happen about 4 times. Now I just feel a general ache in the frony of my throat. Did you find out what it is? I think it might be a muscle spasm effecting the esophagus.

I have this now and I think it has something to do with the pinched nerves in my neck. I saw a chiropractor who said I have 2-3 vertebra out of place in the back of my neck. This initially caused a headache and backache and with adjustments, the headache is gone but the front and sides of my neck, back and shoulder hurt on and off. Did you figure out what it was?

This is the EXACT same thing that happens to me! I was just out searching the symptoms to see what the cause is and found your post. I've had it happen twice in the last year, most recent about October, November-ish and I can still feel the exact location it happened. I'd like to know what it is myself!

I get this every couple of months. There isn't a pattern for when I get it, but I noticed if I put my chin to my chest and move it back and forth a few times it feels like something pops back into place whether its a nerve or something else. It take a few true to put it back but once its back in there isn't a dull ache pain left. Good luck I hope someone will come across this and tell us what it is.

hi. well i am glad that i am not the only one experiencing this sensation. i dont see any updates as to the cause of this. well i am going to the doctor tomorrow and if there is news i shall share it. when it happens to me i get my girl friend or someone to pull my head up slightly as i bend my head and look down, what ever is trapped tends to pop right out. sometimes it is extremely painful and others not.

well all the doctor could say to me was hectic when i explained my situation,
however there is suspension that it might be a double joint that pinches the nerves,

she has recommended me to a physiologist.

At last I have found other people who get  this sympton!!  I get it from time to time.  Don't know what causes it.  It makes it so, so, excruciatingly painful to swallow.  Can last from a few minutes to hours.  I sometimes manage to massage the front and side of my throat and something seems to click back into place and it is a lot better. Just left with a dull ache for a couple of days.  Haven't had it for a while (touch wood!).

I usually get this when I put my chin to my chest, swallowing and lifting my head up is extremely painful the only way I can get it back in place is puting my chin to my chest and moving it left and right, it pops back into place and stops hurting almost immediately. Try that it might be better then stretching your neck until it pops back in.

Hi
I wad reading your page and wondered is this what i am experiencing. I bend down and i get a cramp like presure on left side of throat and when i lay down and get up its like a heavy nerve pain. Ive been diagnosed with spondylisis. Im waiting for ENT and physio but its scary. I want to be seen quicker.

I have had this same thing for years, usually laying on my side, it only pinches on the left and hold my fingers pushing on the spot, and swallow hard, hurt like heck, if I don't catch it till it's really pinched , feels like muscle or nerves stuck between esphogus , I was also told I have spondylosis. Don't know if that's got anything to do with it, hopefully someone will figure out what is causing this

I don't know if you've been to a Gastroenterologist, but they would be the doctor you need to go to and the can do a Endoscopy to check things out to see what's going on. They can tell you if its your esophagus or not. I would also try a chiropractor too. I went to one and the chiropractor helped a lot.

Hi I have had something similar on a few occasions, the last one being early this morning. One time the pain was so bad I had to brace myself to swallow and it really hurt to speak plus I could only move my head to one side and not the other, Just as my husband was going to take me to the hospital I gave a small cough and it appeared to ping and was fine, although there was still so residual pain....it is very strange and quite worrying at times. I have seen an ear nose and throat specialist but all seems normal.

I have the exact same thing happen to me. Left side. Sends me into a frenzy. Only happens every now and then. I've found that it happens more when I'm really cold and experiencing anxiety or nervousness. When I'm cold and nervous it's bound to happen when I swallow and I'm bracing for the pinch. Feels like my esophagus is over lapping and gets stuck, pinching a nerve. I have to stretch my neck out straight to get it to pop back into place normal. Wish I knew what this was

I think it’s a trapped neve, I had this just now trying to find some answers for relief, I saw a couple of posts here so I put my chin to my chest, moved my head side to side a few times, coughed and hey presto it must have pinged back into the correct position, please give this a go If you have this pain as a few of u have said it is excruciating and incredibly painful to swallow.i tried stretching out my neck, ibruprofen and heat to no avail. So thanks to whoever stated this thread x