I am 12 weeks pregnant and everyone keeps telling me that drinking soda in pregnancy is bad. Is it because of caffeine or something else? Can you drink soda in pregnancy, do you know?

I remember reading somewhere that pregnant women who consumed large quantities of caffeine were twice as likely to miscarry as those who consumed less, while fewer or no effects were seen at lower levels of caffeine consumption. I would recommend you drinking soda, because even a couple of cans of soda is a lot of caffeine and sugar even if you're not pregnant.

They do not tell you that you cannot have soda during pregnancy. I am not a fan of soda but I do drink it, and during my surgery prep I was told to drink soda. Just be moderate in what you are drinking.

i had a baby 3 months ago, and everyone told me and what im writing about caffiene is coming out of a mother 2 be book it says......caffeine decreases birthweight,smaller head size,breathing problems,sleeplessness,irritabilty,jitters,poor calcium,metabolism,intrauterine-growth retardation,mental retardation,microcephaly,various major malformations....so becareful..when i was pregnat i drunk none caffeine coke .anything with no caffiene in it will be fine.sprite and 7 up and rootbeer is fine also i hope this helps you and congrats on the baby

Small amounts of caffeine will not make any difference. I drank soda with mine and she is a healthy nine year old today. But, I am pregnant again and staying completely away from the caffeine. As far as it goes to harming the baby, I wouldn't think so. As long as it is in moderation.

There are a few out there that don't have caffeine, like: Sprite, Sierra Mist, Root Beer to name a couple.

BROOKLYN

the phosphoric acid in all sodas literally leeches calcium from your bones and bloodstream, including your baby's bones and bloodstream.

this is quite obviously not good for bone development.

My name is Tiffany I am pregnant with my first child. I have a coke everday we pregnant woman are aloud 200mg a day of caffiene a 20 oz bottle of coke only has 57 mg so that should tell you something, also my doc has told me since my body before i was pregnant had coke its not good to just take away because your body is so use to having it I hope I answered your question and good luck with the lil one:)

im pregnant for the second time . 9 weeks now and i was told both by my OBGYN and a new health baby mag that as long as you stay under 300 mg of caffeine you are fine... i also smoke, and although ive cut back from a pack a day to 3 or 4 cigs a day my doc told me not to resist if i really want one cause the stress on my body from the craving could cause miscarraige.

You and your doctor need some therapy.....or better yet, Baby Jesus!!!

k let me just say that what you are saying is very judgemental about what people are posting on here. you of all people hollering she needs baby jesus should know not to be negative and tell people they need therapy, not every person,pregnancy,obgyn are the same! with that said i am pregnant almost 11 weeks and i can have some soda i just have to watch how much i have and i usually have 1 a day i drink juice and water as well. with my last pregnancy which it was my first i drank lots of water and milk and ate all the time and in the end i still felt like i failed bc there was no fluid around my daughter and i didnt leak,  i had to have a csection at 36 weeks bc it was too dangerous for me to keep carrying her. my ob said if you consume caffiene and nicotene daily which i dont smoke that you shouldnt quit at once bc it will throw your body into stress and we all know stress is a major factor that causes micarriages. yes there are a lot of things pregnant women shouldnt do but most do anyway. if you look at stastics correctly you can do everything your suppose to do and still have problems as if you did everything you shouldnt have done. so i say go with the flow and good luck to all of you!!!