I've been diabetic for 10 years now and monitoring my blood sugar levels closely. The other day I had a couple of slices of Soda bread. When I measured my sugar levels I didn't see a sugar spike. This seems unusual to me as most breads have a lot of sugar in them. I just love bread of all kinds and miss having bread more often. Are there some breads that are naturally lower in sugar that I can eat or is that an impossibility? Is Soda bread low in carbs or sugars naturally or was the bread I ate just made that way? Does anyone have any information on this?

I'm not sure what is going on with your normal or lower blood sugar levels after eating Soda bread but there are a number of possibilities. Surely it depends on how much you ate or when you measured your blood sugar levels and whatever else you ate that might have affected your blood sugar levels for example other foods high in fiber. There are so many ways to make Soda bread, you'd have to know what was in it. There are low carb Soda breads made just for diabetics.

In general, eating bread can make it difficult to control your blood sugar levels because many breads are high in carbs. Nevertheless, there is still hope for you because there are some breads that are low in carbs and high in fiber. The presence of fiber will help to prevent a glucose spike in blood. These kinds of breads usually contain whole grains. The soluble fiber in these breads are able to trap some sugar and keep it from being absorbed by the intestine. So essentially in one end and out the other, sort of speak. This is not unlike oatmeal which has both soluble and insoluble fiber coming from some of the carbs in it that we can't digest. At any rate it is very low in sugar. So, oatmeal bread is a possibility. Fresh baked homemade oatmeal bread is delicious. If in doubt, consult with your doctor or dietitian to find out which breads are best for you.