I'm looking for some tender love and care for my aged and sun damaged skin. Reading up on the matter has led me to conclude that Alpha Hydroxy Acid AKA AHA is what I want. Looking around, unfortunately, I can also see that some of the AHAs on the market are very expensive. Being a newb to this, I am not sure what out there is good and what is best skipped, regardless of the cost, but I would like a GOOD AHA product that isn't too expensive.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable and helpful can give some tips?

Thank you! :)

Hmmm... how about the spa size (16 oz) pump bottle Alpha Hydroxy Acid made by Advanced Clinicals? That large thing will cost you $15, which is a pretty reasonable price if you ask me. It's advertised as a dual purpose cream for body and skin and got loads of other ingredients too. It's got good reviews though they basically just focus on the effects of AHA in general as opposed to this one 'cause this is basically just what it says on the tin. Industrial sized, all purpose, just what you need by the sounds of it.

Celebrity

Define "not too expensive", please? Unfortunately, I'm of the persuasion that absolute basket prices will probably give you a similar quality. AHA creams can easily get into the $90 and above range, so "not too expensive" might be anything under $50, say. If you want cheaper, I'm not sure what results you will end up with.

The Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% Alpha Hydroxy Acid costs $32. It has excellent reviews due to its hydrating but not greasy formula and has some additional ingredients that give you extra anti-aging and anti-dready looking skin power. It is suitable for all skin types.

Rosie

Celebrity

For something completely different, you could also take a look at the "derma e" Overnight Peel With Alpha Hydroxy Acids. This formulation is meant for normal to drier skin types with 5% glycolic acid as well as malic acid and salicylic acid. Follow its overnight use with a good moisturizer.

Overall, though this is a lesser known product, I have looked around to see what its reviews are like and found that they are overwhelmingly positive, which is of course always a good sign. At $18 or so, this Overnight Peel certainly falls into the category of cheaper AHA products and may be what you are looking for.

Rosie

You can buy it on its own, not in a fancy product. Like for instance that thing suggested upthread here, but there are many others as well and it doesn't really matter which one you buy. I go for the five percent one and apply it to my skin straight twice a week, mix it in with my normal moisturizer the rest of the time. This is something I read about ages back on some blog about acne and it works well for me so I thought I'd share. You don't need brand name products to get the results you are after, just straight up AHA.

Well, are you looking for something for your face or for your body? For the body, Paula's Choice Resist Skin Revealing Body Lotion which has 10% AHA is pretty good. It's especially good for neck and cleavage but you can use it on your arms as well for example. There's a 10% glycolic acid moisturizer made by Skin Perfection. Both these products fall into the friendly price range so I am recommending them to you because you specifically asked for cheaper products, but they are also just very much OK.

I have an AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser by Murad myself. I love their whole product range, and as medical cosmetics I have a level of trust in Murad that I do not have in any random manufacturer. This cleanser has noticeably improved my skin quality since I first started using it, but without compromising on the moisture level as I have heard some do. It contains jojoba oil, an excellent hydrant, as well. I don't remember what I paid for it now, but it was not outrageous, though not cheap either. It does last quite a while though.

Yep, a good exfoliant, preferably with AHA, is very important to your overall skincare regimen. With blackheads BHA may be better though. You want a gentle product that is safe and recommended for daily use as sun damage, clogged pores and all that stuff that causes your skin to look uneven and unhealthy build up every day and low strength daily products will do you a lot more good than large doses of weekly stuff, if you know what I mean? The bran you use is not so important I think.