Hey!

I have been Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, Turn Around Overnight, and Clarifying Lotion a while now. I was initially, ironically, having problems with both pimples and dry skin, when someone recommended Clinique to me as a hypoallergenic option that is better than most other brands. I am, on the whole, happy with the products I use. I do wonder how they truly compare to other moisturizer and cleanser brands and whether buying another brand would mess my skin up? 

So, do share your opinions, especially if you have "weird" skin like I do but really, anyone's thoughts would be welcome!

I am no expert, but I do read a lot of beauty blogs for fun and inspiration. That is how I learned that many people are not fans of Clinique at all, and go so far as to say Clinique (which is owned by Estee Lauder if I remember right?) contains many ingredients that are very bad for the skin, and that they do not prioritize skincare, but the bottom line. Particularly, some people say that their products contain harsh alcohols. Having said that, many people also say that their products work very well for their skin. 

In short, you have to make your own conclusion: if your skin is doing well with their products, then there is no reason to switch unless perhaps you are looking for something cheaper. 

I must be going crazy, LOL, 'cause I've spent the last 10 minutes Googling this for you. I read something about some Walmart home brand that's supposed to be incredibly similar to Clinique (it's called Equate), but mostly, in fact, it's Clinique that's coming up as the cheaper but equally good alternative to more expensive brands like La Mer and Estee Lauder. I also found out that the same company in fact owns Mac cosmetics, which I love when I have the cash, and I had no idea. I'll be honest and say that I've tried both Estee Lauder and Mac foundations and Estee Lauder gives awsomely thick coverage but makes me break out without fail. Mac, on the other hand, has the perfect shade for my skin and the Studio Fix, which is meant to be high coverage, I'd only really call medium coverage, but it doesn't make me break out so I don't need more coverage. So though people say all these things are comparable, they may not be. Oh well, that was a lot of time wasting/procrastinating (should be doing some other stuff, as always) over nothing... 'cause like Pink, I'm gonna say, hey, if it works for you, that's great and you should look no further. :)

Well, it's hard to beat that dramatically different moisturizing lotion, because it really does a lot to smooth the skin out, makes you look younger, and doesn't make you feel like you have a ton of product on your body. So I like that one too and wouldn't swap it for anything. I also love the even better skin tine correcting moisturizer from Clinique which has an SPF and does an awful lot to give you an even skin tone, which is where other moisturizers usually fail. And the repair wear nigh cream is fantastic too. Well, you get my drift. I like Clinique, it works for me, I don't care what others have to say about it, I don't even care what ingredients they use, and I will keep on using it.

I'll be brutally honest. I don't think it really matters. I tend to go for cheap brands because I would rather spend any extra money I have on makeup than on moisturizer or cleanser, things that nobody sees anyway unless there is something so wrong with them that they make your skin look weird. I have never had any problems and I have never, ever bought any cleanser or moisturizer that wasn't a drug store brand. It's not even one particular one I go for, just whatever I fancy when I am at the store and that looks nice, or if it is on special offer I will get that. I am amazed how much money people spend on things like that.

Clinique and Estee Lauder seem to be at the same level. Sometimes I buy one, sometimes the other, depending on what I feel like and I have also read on some blogs that it is good to switch your products up sometimes so your skin reacts better to them. All these higher end brands are OK, in my experience. I have bought Shiseido and Chanel as well and they were both fine too. The higher end brands do do a better job than the cheap ones though.

So thinking about this some more, and this is nearly totally off topic but still pretty relevant I say, does anyone know how more expensive brands (so off the top of my head, yeah, Estee Lauder, Mac, Shiseido, Chanel, YSL, and whatever else) compare to cheaper brands in general? We've all got the impression that paying more gives us more, but is that really true? I've bought high end stuff on and off, when I feel like treating myself, and yeah, it's certainly better than something totally generic, usually smells better and seems to keep longer too actually. But how about middle of the road products that ain't cheap nor expensive? Are they just as good? What are your fave cheaper brands that you go for when you're looking for moisturisers, cleansers, makeup removers, that kinda thing?