Hey,

I have very oily (shiny) skin and huge, visible pores on my cheese and nose mostly, but also increasingly on my forehead. Blotting sheets and primer are my friends, but I am wondering whether the cream I am using could be making my skin worse rather than helping it be its best. 

If this skin type is familiar to you, what creams have worked best for you? Have you ever gotten professional advice on what creams are best for women with oily skin and large pores? If you know something I don't, please pass on the knowledge because my skin is extremely hard to deal with. 

TIA! :)

I would just use a regular old cream for oily skin if I am honest, and instead take a much closer look at what else I was doing "wrong". For instance, many people who have oily skin are prone to overwashing their faces. This is tempting considering the fact that your skin is oily, but it can actually have a counterproductive effect. The same goes for exfoliation. A little (like twice a week with a mild exfoliator) is good, but overdo it, and once again you are just making your skin oilier than it already was. 

It's also important to use a cleanser for oily skin.

Paula's Choice skin balancing invisible finish moisture gel has been my product of choice. This was made especially for people with oily skin and it does a good job of minimizing pores as well. On top of that, it feels quite soothing on the skin and makes the skin less irritated.

Paula's Choice has a whole line of products and this is only one component, but no matter what brand you choose I would encourage you to keep in mind that a complete skincare system goes beyond moisturizer alone. A good moisturizer is still very important though!

Celebrity

Hey,

I am just wondering if you have considered natural oils? Tea tree oil and rosemary oil are both great acne fighters. Lavender oil, too, is soothing and anti-inflammatory. Grapeseed oil, meanwhile, is said to help your body regulate its natural sebum production, evening out your balance a bit. 

I am not suggesting you use these products neat, but you can add them to a good moisturizer for oily skin for added benefits. You may find that this makes a huge difference to the state of your skin. 

I would still use a pore minimizer though, and also look into facials to minimize your pores. Perhaps a charcoal mask could help?

Rosie

Some home remedies for closing large pores are:

1. Rubbing an ice cube on each area of your skin for around 10 seconds, this will really close your pores.
2. Exfoliating with baking soda. Sounds strange but it's cheap and effective, I know from experience.
3. You also need to wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser for oily skin, and don't forget to remove your makeup before you go to bed, which will really clog your pores.
4. A moisturizer won't reduce your pores by itself but using one labeled as noncomedogenic will at least not make mattters worse.

Have you ever tried Clean & Clear oil free dual action moisturiser? It's cheap and one of the best out there for people with oily skin, especially younger people. It contains salicylic acid which is absolutely fab for oily skin types and helps prevent breakouts and oiliness. You can use it multiple times a day if you feel the need or cut back to using it only in the morning once you notice your skin's getting better. You can combine this with a face wash from the same line and I'm sure your skin will start moving in the right direction...

I wouldn't look to a cream to minimize my pores. You need exfoliator for that, something like skin perfecting 2% BHA liquid exfoliant by Paula's choice. This is anti aging, unclogs the pores and reduces redness. It does reduce pore size. Pores get larger with age and its anti age effect takes care of that one.

You still need a good cream for oily skin though, something like belif oil control fresh moisturizer. This gives your skin the moisture you need without adding oil to it.