Hi. I have normal skin on my face, but it is just nose that is very oily with ugly looking open pores. Normally I use the normal primer and foundation but that does not hide the pores so well. What can I do about this oily nose? Two things, I would like to have emergency solution to hide it instantly :). Some product suggestions you have perhaps? Second thing, I would like to have more permanent solution for my oily nose. Perhaps I could use some peeling or some facial mask? Or even cosmetic product? I am from Poland. Not everything in sale in America can be found here unfortunately...

That sucks. I totally understand where you are coming from. You didn't say that you were interested in natural products especially, but I assume those ingredients are easier to find where you live? Honey, egg white, almond oil, apple cider vinegar, and cucumber all work to close pores. Ice cubes are another incredibly simple remedy that really works quite well. And for makeup, do you have Benefit? I guess so? Agent Anti-Shine is one I really like, especially the nose stick that doesn't get powder all over the place.

Celebrity

Hi!

Clinique, I think, is pretty universally available in many places. Their Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum is very good, doesn't make the skin greasy, and some people find it useful in minimizing their pores, though not all. Their Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector is something most people agree minimizes their pores almost right away. In addition to minimizing pores, it also creates a better-looking complexion all round. Many people who use it find they rely on foundation much less than before. I have this one myself at the moment and find it makes my skin look very nice. It definitely makes the skin look less oily. 

Rosie

You got some great suggestions already. I hope they're helpful? The other advice I'd give you for the open pores, yeah, is to use something that contains alpha hydroxy acid. Many, many different brands contain this ingredients, which helps you with pores and acne. In addition or instead, witch hazel's another thing many people swear by for open pores and blemished skin. It has antibacterial products that will really help calm that skin down. You can apply both these things all over your face, not just to your nose if you like, or you could just use it on the nose and use normal moisturizer on the rest of your face. 

I second the alpha hydroxy acid. If I were you, OP, I would be trying this:

Was your skin with an oil free cleanser every night, after removing makeup. Exfoliate daily with a product with AHA or salicylic acid. Use pore strips on your nose a few times a week. Choose a non-irritating moisturizer and use a toner as well.

I used to have big open pores on my nose, which were very prominent, but with a good skin care regimen they are now happily reduced. Don't expect results right away though, as it does take a little bit of patience. But you will see the difference.

Here are some more thoughts for you. 

First, stop using cosmetics that clog the pores even more. I know it might not seem like open pores are clogged, but they become enlarged because you are dealing with excess oil production, and open, large pores do become clogged. Use oil-free products. Don't, on the other hand, go for harsh and drying cosmetics either. It may seem like that would fix the problem, but it will only make it worse. 

So what should you do instead? Choose non-comedonegenic cleansers and moisturizers. Yes, choose salicylic acid. But also blot the excess oil off regularly using blotting pads. I'd go makeup free as often as possible as well, as soon as you get home. 

I've had an oily T Zone like forever too, but my nose? Now that was another story! If someone had called me Rudolph the Oily Nosed Reindeer, they wouldn't have been far off, LOL. Well, no, it didn't make me laugh. It was quite upsetting in fact. I finally got a prescription for 10mg Accutane. I know Accutane is serious stuff and it's not for everyone, but in lower doses, it can really do wonders. You do have to discuss the side effects vs benefits with your doc, and consider them really seriously. You can't get pregnant on this, for instance. If you've got thin hair on your head, it may also not be for you. But it saved my self-esteem and felt compelled to mention it to you in case it would be something that could help you as well.

Large pores are tough, but you CAN banish them!!!

1. Exfoliate.
2. Cleanse.
3. Moisturize. (Could be seen as part of the same deal: together, these steps make sure excessive sebum is removed, your face is clean, and well hydrated, and your pores get a chance to close.)
4. Lemon juice. Works very well for closing the pores!
5. Cucumber. Haven't tried it but some people swear by it.
6. Clay masks only on the area where you have big open pores. Have tried it (and you can drink clay as well) and it does help close pores and create a healthy look.

:) Maybe that will help.

I'm in the same spot as you.

I had severe acne and was on accutane. After accutane, my acne went away and I am now pimple free. The only problem now is that I have an extremely, and I mean extremely oily nose, whereas the rest of my face is normal. I use blotting sheets perhaps five times a day, and the oil is never ending. Because of that, yes, I also have terribly enlarged pores, which are clogged. I am now at the stage of contemplating another trip to the dermatologist, because I have the feeling that this problem might be a residual effect of the accutane. The normal tips do not help here. They make sense, but not for something as extreme as this. I think I need a prescription. I don't know for what, though.

Some of these posts sound familiar to me - I was using benzoyl peroxide for acne and ended up with oily skin. I later found out that benzoyl peroxide has a drying effect. This can trigger the skin glands to produce more oil, which then means you have oily skin. I stopped using it and it took around two months for the skin to become less oily. These anti-acne products are double-edged swords that treat one problem but may give you another in exchange, in short, but in time it does work out. I no longer have oily skin (I don't know, maybe five months after) and my skin is back to normal oil production as well.

Here are some further, natural ideas, that may help someone with an oily nose treat their problem:

• Apple cider vinegar. This is said to absorb extra oil from your skin as well as cleansing your pores, penetrating deeply. 
  • Make a scrub from honey and ground almonds, freshly bought and non-salted. Almond oil is a popular ingredient in skin products, but you want the real deal so that it can act as a scrub. 
  • Lemon juice, again freshly squeezed. Many people say that lemon has a brightening effect on the skin as well as simply cleansing it.

For those who have not had luck with commercial products, sometimes natural may be the way to go.

I have the same problem!!!

So glad I found this. I have not dry alpha hydroxy acid but do follow most of the other things that have been mentioned as a way to solve these open pores on the nose. I have read that pore size is genetic and I have seen large pores on the nose in my male relatives, but I am not willing to accept that my nose will look like this forever. Of course, pores have gotten bigger with time. Seems to me it is an acne related problem in this case though, because of the oil. I do use acne cleansers and that helps some with the oil but not the pore size.

Any other suggestions perhaps?

When my own skin was looking a little rough, including pimples and open pores, I went for a glycolic acid peel. I admit that I looked terrible the first few days, but after that it got a lot better and my pores were reduced in size drastically. Since that time I have been taking care of my skin by using Cetaphil and Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. My pores now look so much better with less oily skin as well. The peel is what reset my face though, and it is a good option for many people with acne and oily skin.

I guess you're in a bit of a pickle there. What you can do, I suppose, is clean the nose with a cleanser and a apply a moisturizer on the rest of your face but not on your nose. Maybe you can add some powder foundation on there too to soak up the oil and to make it look less shiny as well. There are many people around with mixed skin. I have heard that clay masks are pretty good for this as well as they detox and soak up oil. But if it doesn't work you could always ask your beautician about it.