Hi, I’ve been really depressed lately. I am 24 years old, and I think I’m too young for starting with medications, especially if there’s way of treating. I heard that music helped some people, so I would like to know what the best music for depression is.

You heard right! Music can really help with depression, and I learned it from a personal experience. I was feeling depressed and sad for a long time. I used some medications, but I still had the symptoms. Then my mother visited me one day, and brought a CD of a band called “The Smiths”. One of the songs was called “I know it’s over”, and I think that I listened to this song about million times. Every single time it comforted me, and gave me the strength to move on. I think this is the best music for depression. I heard few years later that it helped many other people with depression. Music is a powerful way of expression, and it can sometimes rule over our emotions.

go for some classical music, usually i find it therapeutic.

Well im totally different. I listen to rock music, the metal rock. The ones that you cant understand unless you read the lyrics. Lyrics are the best part. I like to find songs that have words to it that I can relate too at the time
:-D

if this does not help.. being on medication is not bad.. and if it is serious.. you know you will need the medication.. i hope that the music is working.. but i am on prozac and have been since i was 15.. just make sure if you do get on it.. you dont stop taking it without your doctors permission or until he slows you off of it.. that leads to very bad things.

I personally find Mr. Blue Sky by ELO very uplifting. It's like antidepressants in music form!! :-D
But like the post above says, medication isn't bad. I've been out of hospital longer since I took my meds properly.

REGAE ITS ALWAYS POSITIVE, JAMACIANS ONCE SLAVES AND BRING POSITIVE MUSIC TO UPLIFT THEIR CONDITIONQuote:

SUN IS SHINING BOB MATLEY:-D

i say beautiful by 10 years. it is a great song

For me one person can help when Im sad and this is Dido.

I was on Sertaline since I was 11. It's not the right kind of pill. Though, pills have almost no bad affect on people.

I integrate the music with movement. stretching to relieve the stress around my neck and shoulders. light shadow boxing,put on my ipod and take a  brisk walk  leading into a light jog. Upbeat music is great to fuel your motivation to move (even if just around the house) and perhaps slip on your nikes and go for a jog. Its about gettnig the positive energy moving around in your brain and through your body. Bands like Travis, Snow patrol, Queen, Michael Jackson and U2 always get me going. And the Rocky themes tunes!

Dan from Cardiff, Wales

Travis ??? "why does it always rain on me" sure thats gonna lift you out of depression lol.