I don't want to ask my dad about this but I'm getting old enough that I worry how about if I decide two have sex for some reason then I don't want to get pregnant. So I was thinking about getting on birth control. I see so many girls getting pregnant now and it scares me even though I'm still a virgin. Does anybody know if there is a way for me to get on birth control without having to ask my dad or even let him know? I live in Texas so I don't know if the laws are different in every state.

Health Guru

Hi Hannah, not being American I'm not 100% sure but what I have read you need parental consent until the age of 17 if you get birth control on private health care but if it's obtained through state funded Medicare you don't, you don't say how old you are so not sure, I understand that it's probably embarrassing for you to talk to your dad about it or what your dad is like about that post of thing but I'm sure he would be ok if you was to explain the situation and how your concerned about teen pregnancy and that your not thinking about having sex yet but just want to start using it as a precaution for when you do. 

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to find the answers for you I will also include a website address for the state laws for age of consent but it may get removed by the moderator, hope it helps.

https://sexetc.org/states/texas

Thank you. I am almost 13.
Its embarrassing and plus I dont want my dad to think I am fooling around, coz Im not.