I just found out that I have a blighted ovum. I am supposedly 16.5 weeks. I went in for an ultrasound to double check my dates and found out right then that I was not carrying a fetus anymore. I am trying to wait and let my body flush it out instead of having a D&C. Is it common to have a miscarriage this late? If I don't get a D&C I wonder how long it would go on for. My OB/GYN is giving me a week to pass it on my own, but I want to know if there are any other mothers out there who have experienced such a late miscarriage and how you feel about it. I am upset because I thought that I was almost half done, and to go in thinking you get to see your baby for the first time to find out there is no baby, is quite devestating. Is there anyone who knows how I feel?

I know this is a really old post, but wanted to share my story in case anyone else finds this. I was 17 weeks pregnant when I started cramping and bleeding. I went into the hospital and they did an ultrasound, which revealed an empty womb. It has been a roller coaster of emotions after thinking I was losing my child, only to realize that child was never there... My midwife was baffled, because usually blighted ovum's are diagnosed or miscarried in the first trimester. I had normal uterine growth, and even thought I had felt movement a couple of times, although not much. The midwife had never been able to get a heartbeat, but just figured on a wiggly baby that couldn't be pinned down.
Anyway. This is my experience. I am still sorting through emotionally and healing physically.