:$ I started my miscarriage on November 1, 2010 went to the hospital that night and they confirmed I was having a miscarriage. I followed up with my Dr that Tuesday morning once released from the hospital and he sent me for lab work. My HGC levels that morning was 3856 he sent me for follow up levels Thursday and it was 356. That Friday morning I passed the placenta. I have had a follow up appt at the doctors office every Tuesday since and my urine test are still showing positive. Last week they said the line was very faint and this should be my last appointment. I don't understand my levels had dropped so much in those 3 days at first that shouldn't they be back at 0. This morning the doctor told me I am still faintly positive and wants to see me back in a week to see if I am negative yet. I'm so upset and confused I need answers. I called my previous OB/GYN that I had my last two children with and asked if this is normal. They said that it should have been negative after two weeks and the fact that my levels dropped so quickly the first week and still showing a urine positive is not correct that this doctor should be requesting lab work. The reason I am so confused was it was a blighted ovum not even a complete pregnancy which I believe should have made my levels drop much quicker since it wasn't a full 100% complete normal pregnancy. Can someone help me and let me know if this is normal or should I switch back to my other doctor for a second opinion. I can not take much more of this emotionaly. Please help me. %-)

First of all honey my deepest sympathies, 2nd a HUGE hug! And 3rd, this isn't right what he is doing! OBVIOUSLY not too much compassion here! So DEMAND a blood test! When you went to the hospital that night, did they do an ultrasound!? I am wondering about any tissue remaining! So you can phone him and ask him to send a requisition for a pregnancy blood test! OR demand one when you see him! Also - I am a health advocate - so Do NOT take how he has treated you! Just tell him straight that this as been VERY hard for you, and he has NOT set your mind at ease! He might not realize just how he is making this terrible occaision even worse for you! And you need an apology!

Please let me know how you make out! BIG HUG again!

Thank you for your understanding in this matter I was starting to think that all health professional treat this with out any compassion and care for the patient. Yes they did an ultrasound and that is where I found out about the blighted ovum was from the Radiologist as he was writting up his report he was looking it up and making note of it. No one ever mentioned this to me so last week I got fed up with out being told anything and asked the Dr. if that is what I had since my first appointment with him we did an internal ultrasound and it was just a sac as well. He said yes that is what happened I had a blighted ovum. There is no tissue remaining. I passed the full placenta Friday November 5th at 3:30pm. It was a very large mass to where I thought it was a baby but obviously with 3 untrasounds with in 5 weeks all showing empty sacs there never was a baby. Okay going to go call.....

Well I took your advise which I really do thank you for and called and spoke w/ a nurse there. She verified that the test came back negative today finally and is not sure why the doctor told me it was still a slight positive. She agrees that I do have a right to know and should ask him next week when I go in. She said this should be my last appointment and and he may be treating this one as a post pardum visit.

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this! Get a check up and ask when you can try again - as some doctors say to wait (This is IF you want to try again right now) IF you do, start taking prenatal vitamins, and stop smoking - if you do, And your partner too! As these have been shown to GREATLY affect both fertility and the genetic makeup! Take it easy, and IF you feel like you need to have some help dealing with your loss, then definitely reach out! MANY hospitals have gardens, where you can go to honor the baby you hoped for! I think it's a wonderful thing! And IF there isn't anywhere, then take stock if you need this or not! As some women are OK - sad but OK! And others can be devestated! So just know that OK? And IF you need to talk or have anymore questions I'm usually on here! Take care and best of health!