I have son that is 16 years old and I think he has problems with acne. Anyway, last few weeks I have seen some cysts on his face. I would like to hear what kind of cyst this could be. Is it possible that is caused by the same reason as his acne? Can you explain this topic a little bit, because I do not understand how to help him?

According to the severity of infection that affects person, acne can be separated mainly into comedo, papule, pustule, nodule, and cyst types. The basic form of acne is a red swelling or lesion on the surface of skin. This simple basic form is caused by the bacterial attack on body tissue. Common situation is that hair follicle under the skin is choked by sebum secreted by the adjacent oil glands. After some time dead cells and superficial grime, collects in those pores, and bacteria P. acnes attack those places. This bacterium normally lives on the skin, and produces certain enzymes and chemicals to break down the tissue wall in order to get into the plugged follicle. That is why injury of the body tissue results in swelling, redness and pain. When skin becomes severely inflamed, the sac-like lesions are filled with a liquid or semi-liquid material. Those contain bacteria, dead cells and white blood cells. Then we call it cysts, which can penetrate into the deeper layers of skin and become quite painful. Even after being healed, cysts can leave scars on the skin, which are difficult to get rid of.