Seven months ago I broke my heel while lifting something heavy. After surgery my recovery was surprisingly easy and painless, there was no infection, and after three months I could walk. But now, after seven months, I have bone infection in the foot. What are the causes - everything went so well, and now this? What is the treatment? I just hope it won’t be another surgery.

Osteomyelitis or bone infection is caused by infection or follows a fracture where the bones are exposed, but in children it can appear for no apparent reason. I suppose that your problem with heel involved open fracture and this enabled bacteria to enter the wound and attack the bone at the place of fracture. The bacteria cause pain, swelling, fever and abscesses with pus around the bone. Your doctor will have to determine the type of bacteria before he/she decides on the treatment. As for surgery, it is usually an option when chronic infection is in question or when the infection is developed from foot ulcer. In addition to the drugs prescribed by your doctor you can include vitamins A, C, E and zinc in your diet (but also consult an expert before doing that). Acupuncture and massage also proved to be beneficial, especially in cases of pus and swellings. Alternative medicine suggests herbs traditionally known as blood cleansers such as red clover, licorice, burdock root etc.