I am going through brain surgery/epilepsy surgery actually a crainotomy in just over a month and am concerned as well as my family regarding this decision. This is a big step I am about to take... Ten years ago it was mentioned I should have surgery to remove the tumor and epilepsy but I could wait and watch. Current symptoms have been present to make surgery a choice very soon. I will be undergoing two surgeries one for mapping and another for the actual removal. My concern is how long for recovery after the actual surgery in left temporal lobe? Has anyone had surgery in the left temporal lobe? Once home, how long before I would be able to go back to my normal usual activities? I am currently unemployeed which is another reason for having the surgery now. I want to start looking for work ASAP after the surgery. Thank you for your response. This will help my entire family

The hospital stay after your type of surgery is usually 4 to 5 days. The stay can, however be longer depending on complications.

Don't expect to start work anytime soon. Recovery period can take several months. You may require therapy depending on any side effects of the surgery. Be patient. This surgery has a fairly high success rate. Don't push it and keep a positive attitude.

hi my name is Lance i had a crainotomy in Frenchay in bristol in 1995 for my epilepsy but was troubled with 2 brain abcess,s forming on the brain so i was rushed in twice to have them drained from my Temporal lobe,in 1997 i had a temporal lobe lobectomy where they removed my left part of the brain i have now been fit free for many years,i wish you the very best from Lance