Hi, I am five months pregnant and my pregnancy is developing just fine. The problem I am having is regarding an ovarian cyst. I wasn't aware that I had one, until I had an ultrasound to confirm my pregnancy. During the exam the doctor told me about the cyst. He also mentioned that he could remove the cyst during a c-section if I agree. I am worried about this, because I don't know how this cyst will affect my baby. Is it safe to have a cyst removed during a c-section?

Hi, and first of all I would like to congratulate you on your pregnancy. The ovarian cysts can often come and go without any symptoms, but in some cases they can cause serious problems. Because you were not aware of the cyst your doctor discovered, maybe you will not have any problems with it. However, if the cyst starts to grow, or causes pain surgery is recommended. I am sure that your doctor is closely monitoring the development of your cyst. You should talk to him about your cyst and its nature. If he believes that the cyst could cause problems in the future, than its removal during a c-section is a wise decision. This way you will have a safe delivery and avoid surgery to remove the cyst in the future.

I had 4 cysts removed during my c-section. I didn't even notice until the doctor told me he did it for me.