Hi, I'm 22 years old and I have a problem with this thing on my left buttock. There seems to be some kind of a growth on my left buttock, it is round shaped, I think that there is some pus in it since I can see though the surface of the skin that there is something white inside of it, I tried to squeeze it out myself but the skin on that part seems to be to thick and it is causing me too much pain. Sometimes it just disappears and the pain stops, but it always comes back again after a while. What could this thing be and how do I get rid of it?

Judging from your description of the change I would say that you have a condition called pilondial cyst. Pilondial cyst is very often in people who have a sedentary lifestyle, it is more often in male population than in females. Pilondial cyst is basically an inflamed hair follicle around which abscess forms causing local inflammation and subsequent bacteria infection. Inflammation and bacterial infection are the two causes for pain you are feeling. When the cyst forms, it is actually an abscess sack which in most cases has a passage connecting it to the outside surface of the skin called pilondial sinus. There is a leakage of pus through the sinus and also hair can be noticed on the outside orifice of the pilondial sinus. The treatment of this cyst is fairly simple. The pus has to be drained and the cyst is usually removed completely surgically. The surgery shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes and it is done under local anesthesia. The outcome of the disease is good, and recurrences are rare, but not impossible. In some cases if there is no pain the cyst can be treated with antibiotics but that is a non-standard way of treating these changes. You should go to your doctor to establish a final diagnosis and to schedule the surgery if it is necessary.

I had a pilonidal cyst on my tailbone about a month ago. I have a job where I sit and type 40 hours a week and some doctors believe that typing is the problem and other doctors believe that it is something you are born with. My Cyst was pretty large and on my tailbone. At first, I thought my tail bone was broken because of my history of back problems from a previous car accident. I went into the local walk in clinic and they wanted to remove it right there. I decided I needed some medication to get through it so I waited a few days until I was mentally ready. The day before I went in, the infection got really bad. I came down with really bad flu like symptoms and an extremely high fever. The next day I went to the ER. They gave me a shot of morphine and I had to wait. The doctor came in and started the procedure. They gave me about 6 or 8 shots around the area which hurt a lot. They cut or lanced the cyst and took it out. After that, mine was big and majorly infected so they had to scrape out the area. They packed the area with shoelace like stuff and I was sent on my way with some anti-biotics. At first the anti-biotics didnt work and they had to change them. I had to get it packed and re packed due to the size of the cyst. A couple different doctors did the packing and un packing. Ultimately the packing fell out and I was told that once it falls out, thats it. They dont pack it anymore. It has been a month and the pain is much much better. I was feeling close to normal again. Yesterday the pain started again. It feels like there is a small bump there and the wound is still somewhat open and hasn't healed yet. I have a feeling the cyst is back and this time I will have to go in for major surgery. I am terrifyed of surgery and dont understand why it would come back so quickly. Advice I would give to anyone with a cyst is make sure you go in and get those antibiotics. They do help with the pain a ton. My experience was not the greatest and it is hard to do stuff and not sit or use your tail bone. I would also say be consistant with the doctors you go to. They can make or break your impression of everything that is going on. Make sure the wound is healed completely and that you take good care of it.

Well I do realize it has been some time since the last post but I thought I could give some insight for you guys wanting to know about these cysts you have.. I am 25, I had my first cyst at 22...on my lower back f=right at my tailbone...it hurt so bad, i was in so much pain...had it removed...felt better and it stayed away for like 2 years...they called it a sebacious cyst then! Well in feb of 2005 it came back and had it removed again....first time i layed on my back and had sex...it came back and has been back, I have just been tolerant to the pain this time and let it drain...keep it clean...I mean how many times do i hvae to pay out 800$...this is ridiculous, so I have had this on my back...every time i lay on my back, have sex on my back or even sit all the way on my back it sweels...then 2 days later it drains...then another 2 days it heals up...it is a very irritating cyst, i just wish it would go away...but it continues to come back about every week...so for the last 2 years every week, it has opened and drained and closed and all over again done the same thing...it sucks, but i dont have insurance and i hate doctors...so i deal with it, they told me it might come back, but y couldnt they take more then they needed to assure it was gone? i hope none of you have to go through this for life!

Strongly recommend finding a doctor who has military experience, and is male. They have seen many instances of this, and know exactly what to do. Look around...I went through emergency room, and no one knew what was wrong. Then an older doctor came through and named it when he saw it. He recommended the surgeon, who did an amazing job.

In addition, its been 7 years since, and sometimes i feel the pain, but its due to scar tissue. After having a cyst like that, prolonged sitting is very uncomfortable.

My husband has one of these cyst's on his tailbone we have had to take him to the hospital to hve it lanced but again and again it comes back that is until we found a vitamin that helps keep it under controll.
I have searched the internet a great deal of time and didn't find anything that would provide him releaf. Untill his mom told me about a vitamin call DRY VITAMIN E with takeing the vitamin daily and also useing PRID the drawing salve we have managed to keep it under controll also you must try to keep the affected area as hair free as possible. The only time he has had a flare up with it is when we ran out of the medicine. Now i make sure that i have a ample supply of both products on hand at all times. These products have worked and still are working to this day for my husband.So i hope that what we have learned about this condition will help someone else the way it has helped my husband.

ma'am i do say u must get that taken care of for the simple fact u can get that infection all thru your body and possibly die please get that taken care of

My 24-year-old son has informed me that he has a very large bump in his lower back that is causing an extreme amount of pain. The pain became so bad that he went to the doctors and the doctor prescribed antibiotics. He has been on medication for a few days and keeps the area clean with hydrogine peroxide daily. He needs to return in a week to see if the swollen has gone down and to see if removing it is an option. I will post the results as he goes through this stressful and annoying symptom.

I had flare ups for my cyst and finally had the surgery done to remove the sinus tract. I guess I'm one of those unfortunate people because here I sit 8 years later with my second flare up in 2 months. Considering surgery again.