For no reason at all I often FEEL like I can't get enough enough air into my lungs.

I have to brace myself and take in a quick deep breath, sort of the way an asthmatic uses and inhaler. Because I do it often and throughout the day, it feels like the cartilage on the side of my trachea is rubbing against the muscle along side it. I'm not sure what it is, but my throat starts to hurt--not inside the throat, but outside.

I'm healthy. I don't have any lung issues that I'm aware of, but I do have mucous. I blow my nose, clear my throat and produce mucous all day and during the night. I don't think it's stress related, or I should say in my opinion it doesn't seem to be stress-related because it can start up upon awakening, or while simply watching a movie. Strange thing is that I sleep through the night without problems.

I've had it throughout my life and it comes and goes. It seems like once it starts, it's hard to stop and then I wake up one day and it's gone. Doctors don't know what it is.

Are these symptoms related? If so, what could be the problem?