I HAVE A CLEAR MUCOUS STUCK IN MY THROAT OFF AND ON NOW FOR SEVERAL YEARS.I CONSTANTLY HAVE THE NEED TO CLEAR MY THROAT EVEN THOUGH IT DOESNT DO ANY GOOD.A FEW MONTHS AGO IT CAME BACK WITH NO RELIEF.THE DR. PUT ME ON CIPRO AND PREDNISONE,IT CLEARED FOR A FEW DAYS THEN RETURNED. THE DR. THEN PUT ME ON ANOTHER 10 DAY ROUND OF THE SAME MEDS. THERE HAS BEEN NO RELIEF THIS TIME.HE THOUGHT IT WAS MY SINUSES DRAINING INTO MY THROAT.I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL ALLERGY MEDS AND NASAL SPRAYS WITH NO LUCK,I ALSO TAKE PRILOSEC DAILY. WHAT IS IT CAUSED FROM? WHAT KIND OF DR. SHOULD I SEE,SINCE MY PCP DOESNT SEEM TO KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I have not been able to clear my throat for several months now. when it first started it was on and off. i had very bad breath and stickey spit. after the first month or so it became a 24 hour problem. since it started i'v developed more signs and symptems. i havnt had to blow my nose the entire time. constantly spitting yellow mucus from my sinus, but i can breath through my nose just fine. My ears become blocked frequently and they only unblock when i yawn. i hear a click in my ears everytime i open my mouth. i'v seen doctors, taken alergy meds. taken 2 different meds for GERD. bactirial antibiotics. the antibiotics cleared be bad breath temperaraly. but nothing has helped me clear my throat or help any other symptims. i also have a tight feeling under the back of my jaw when i open my mouth. any ideas?

I'm experiencing the same symptoms all of you have been experiencing for over a year now.... Has anyone found any answers?

For tpricola. The previous post was over 2 years ago so I guess it's just you I'm replying to. I don't even know if you will read this because they no longer notify us of replies, but here goes.

I have been clearing my throat constantly nearly all my life, I'm 70 now. I thought it would go away after I quit smoking but I quit in 1981 and it still bothers me.

I feel a little mucus in my throat and it won't come out because there isn't enough to cough it loose so I have to wait for 10 minutes or so for it to increase to where I CAN cough it up. This keeps happening constantly all day long for as long as I'm awake. Doctors have suggested all kinds of sprays over the years with minimal effect. I think most times when I think something helps, it's just the placebo effect.

Last year my GP sent me to throat specialist. I'm sure it helped his wallet, shoving that camera up my nose and down my throat a couple times, but I can't say his prescription has helped me any. He increased my Prilosec from 20mg to 40mg so now it's a prescription instead of over the counter and added Cimetidine at night. I thought it helped for a while but now it's about the same as it's always been.

About 10 years ago my RNP at the VA said it was post nasal drip and she gave some spray that seemed to fix it. She now says she has no record of that in her computer and offers nothing to help.

So I've probably spent 45 of my 70 years with the problem and have not found a real solution.

Have you found any solution, I am also facing same problem.
Pls let me know...

How you are managing.
It is untolarable for me.
Give some tips so that i can get some relief.

Try quitting thigns for a few days to see if it improves. I've also had this issue a few years, and I find it gets much worse a day or two after Iv'e been dirnking alcohol.

I'm also trying to give up artificial sweetners and so far that has made an improvement.. I spent all mornign today without the symptoms, but then kicked in again this afternoon.

I honestly think it's to do with diet, maybe even a mild allergy. Or it's from excessive stomach acid.

I'lll post back if it gets any better or if i find anything.

In the meantime everyone who suffers from this should experimentally cut things out of their diet to see if it improves. There isn't a medical fix as far as I'm aware.

I believe there is absolutely nothing that can be done about the constant post nasal drip with never-ending drive to clear the mucous but only works for a moment, and the buildup starts up again immediately. I'm constantly having to clear my throat and sometimes have to really strain at it and the noise distracts people from all around.

There is evidently no cure. I've tried all the prescriptions with minimal if any results. It's been a lifetime condition that my dad also had and he tried about everything including going to the Mayo clinic about it. I doubt it's an area where much research is being done, although for many of us it's hard to cope.

So good luck to those of you who have it, at least to the extent I do. And if you find a remedy please don't hesitate to email me direct: ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

i just went to an otolaryngology center in Little Rock, AR and found out the symptoms we're showing is a cyst on your vocal cords. Mine is caused from acid reflux... If any of u have acid reflux this is probably what it is. I'm having mine removed next month. It's about $2800 w/o insurance if ur in my situation...:-( get it fixed soon though! It's not something u can just live w/... My "step grandma" died from it. They can turn to cancer if not taken care of... Petter sooner than later...

Thank you for the reply. I don't know what otolaryngology is but will be finding out. Yes, I've had acide reflux all my life too, and I'm 71 so none of these things are new to me. Thanks again, Tony Ruiz

tpricola, do you know if this is also connected to the bad breath as well? Also did this cyst show up in your scan. What kind of test did you take to find the cyst?

I have acid reflux and have the mucous in my throat like everyone else but I find if I take 800-100 mg of C each day, the mucous or phlegm in my throat goes away, but the bad breath remains.

Thanks for your response in advance.

I went to the otolaryngology center (ear nose n throat specialist) yesterday for my removal of the cyst and the dr postponed the surgery to run a biopsy. Apparently it could b a form of cancer. I don't know if it's directly associated w/ the bad breath, but I do know I have had worse breath than what I normally have. I'll post an update as soon as I get word back on the biopsy! As far as the bad breath, I hope it is a symptom of whatever this is! Chicks don't dig bad breath! I'll know in a couple days!

At 71 I don't care about chicks but it's sure been a problem for me about all my adult life. My dad had the same problem and so does my son. I've asked all the doctors I've seen over the ages and tried about everything including prescriptions and diet. I've seen ENT doctors with no results. The last one said to use the "netty pot" and I did, but it only addressed my nasal and perhaps upper throat phlegm. About 2-3 months ago I started getting more congestion, then coughing. More phlegm began to grow in my lower throat/esophagus and am having a heck of a time trying to cough it up and out without much luck. Constantly clearing my throat is bothersome but especially to those around me, like my family in the evenings. I'm a cancer survivor but has nothing to do with this junk I always suspected would give me a cancer problem in the throat area but it hasn't.

I see a lot of similar complaints here but no real solutions. I do see some fixes that people have tried with varying degrees of success but nothing conclusive. I would hope some clinic, hospital, research center, doctor or even one of those TV doctors would see all these posts and give it some attention. Maybe someone has and we don't know where to look.

Best to all of you, Tony

I evidently neglected to sign in, but I am member Tony Ruiz

Well I'm 29 so attracting the opposite sex is still a hobby of mine... What ur describing doesn't sound like the same thing I'm experiencing. I have had a raspy voice for the last year or more. I just had a feeling like phlegm stuck in my throat, but never actually coughed anything up... That's y it has been so frustrating...