17 months ago I was playing soccer with my daughter and she took the ball to her left eye and went down hard.  Within that week she developed a bright light in her eye that only appeared when it was closed.  Within 2 weeks the light was consistent when the eye was opened or closed.  We waited a few months and then saw our local optometrist and was referred to 3 specialist to look over the entire eye.  She underwent several tests during the exams and we had 3 responses from 3 specialists: 1.  She will out grow it.  2. I don't know but there is nothing wrong with the eye. 3. I think it's fictitious, she will forget about it and it will go away.  Needless to say this was not helpful.  We are going on 2 years and a few months ago she said it had gotten bigger.  She is 9 and broke down in tears out of pure frustration of this "fictitious" nuisance.  Anyone that knows of this PLEASE reply with any info regarding diagnosis or a doctor willing to step out of their comfort zone and take on such a challenge. 

Hi Dana,

What kind of specialist did you see?

If you have not seen an opthamologist, please do so now.  An opthamologist is a medical doctor, an optometrist is not.  It could possibly be a posterior vitreous detachment.  Basically, the trauma from the soccer ball may have caused the retina to pull away from it's attachment.

Bright lights in vision are often a symptom of retinal detachment.  Detachment itself is painless.

A thorough eye exam is required.  The eyes will be dilated and examined via opthalmoscopy.  Intraocular pressure will be checked and possibly even an ultrasound of the eye.

I would suggest you find an Opthalmic surgeon at a large medical center or hospital that has access to these diagnostic tools.

Any trauma to the eye is considered a medical emergency.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. She must have seen an opthamologist. They did field tests, dilated her eye, numbed the eye so they could touch it with some machine, they looked at her retina, took pictures and said that looked completely fine. Found nothing wrong with the eye itself. I do not believe they did and ultrasound. I was worried of a tumor, that would be coincidental with the soccer ball incident but...they said highly unlikely b/c a tumor would affect both eyes so we did not get any kind of MRI or CAT scan done. She has had a consistent eye ache for almost a week now. These tests were done about a year ago, should we do them again? I don't have much faith in the doctors we saw last year. I would love to find one that is passionate about the work and seeks answers and welcomes challenges such as this. Someone that won't settle for "I don't know" as an answer. Pro-bono would be that much better as we have no insurance.

If she's having eye pain now then yes, she needs to see an opthamologist again.  I would not expect a tumor either.  I still think it is due to the trauma of the soccer ball.  If it has been a year and the symptoms are getting worse then perhaps this time they'll find something.

Good luck.

You need to take her in. I had this and they found 3 tiny and 1 large hole in my retina. Bright lights and floaters are a sign. It's an easy fix they just lasered it in the office, they numb the eye it doesnt hurt more anxiety than anything else. But he did say it could detach which would lead to a bigger sugery to repair it. Not something I'd want there.