My son has bronchitis. He is diagnosed last week. I am very worried about him and his condition. The doctors say that it is everything all right and that he is doing just fine. But I am afraid that something might happen and I want to be prepared. Can you tell me something about bronchitis complications?

You should not think about those things if he is all right. You will just worry with no reason at all. But I will tell you about possible complication. Lung disorders like bronchitis cause the heart to work much harder, especially the right chamber which is responsible for pumping the blood into the lungs. As bronchitis progresses level of oxygen in the blood decreases and it can cause blood vessels in the lung to constrict. Also possible complications are abnormal sputum, polycythaemia, pulmonary hypertension, respiratory failure etc.

Hello there jillayne,

I am aware of the fact that you are worried, but you need to stay calm because your son is going to sense that you are under stress and maybe he will be worried as well that you are not telling him everything. There are certain complications when it comes to the bronchitis but this is not so terrible. After the main symptoms of bronchitis are gone, it is possible that your son continues to cough. This is common thing, and sometimes this cough can last more than month.

If your son continues to cough after two months than some complications did occur and you will have to revisit your pediatrician. I hope that your son is going to recover really fast.