My son who is 5 years old had a cold last week. Since that time he started to cough and it lasts till now. I took him to a doctor and he gave him some antibiotics. He also told me that he had bronchitis. Doctor advices were for him to stay in bad, to drink a lot of liquids and to rest. Which antibiotics are used for bronchitis?

I had bronchitis like your son last year. I remember something about its treatment. Bronchitis is a disease which is caused by numerous factors. It could be caused by viruses, bacteria and mycoplasma. Antibiotics are used when you have bacterial bronchitis. The most used are erythromycin, penicillin, gentamycin and clindamycin. I hope this was useful.

Hello there corella,

I hope that you are satisfied with the answer Winston has provided you and also I would like to say that I can understand why you are so suspicious regarding the diagnosis and treatment that your doctor has prescribed. Your son is only 5 years old and it is very strange that so young child needs antibiotics. but, your doctor has right, when it comes to the bacterial bronchitis antibiotics are needed to help organism to fight this bacteria.

And cough can last for at least one month, and this is bad side effect of the bronchitis. Even when all other symptoms of bronchitis are gone, cough remains. I hope this was helpful, and that your son is going to recover soon.