While showing me her pepper spray, my sister accidentally squirted some of it into my eye. This is the first time that I burned my eye and the day after it still hurts like hell. Since I’m not in a position to see a doctor for a few days, you could tell me what to do. My sister tells me that pepper spray cannot damage the eye, but it really hurts so much! Help!

The good thing is that your sister is right - pepper spray is an irritant which hardly ever can cause any serious damage to your eye. The irritants are substances with ph = 7 (acids have ph < 7 and alkalis have ph > 7). They usually don’t make any damage to the eye, apart from, of course, irritation and discomfort - hence the name. The bad thing is that the excruciating pain caused by pepper spray is something you’ll just have to cope with. Your eye most probably needs not be treated by on ophthalmologist in any way. You have probably done the rinsing many, many times and now you just have to avoid touching and pressing your eyes and wait for the pain to soothe. If your pain doesn’t lessen during the course of the following day, go and see a doctor. Also, if you, by any chance, experience swelling or blurred vision, see your doctor without delay.