1 yr ago I started experiencing deep burning pain under my rght shoulder blade. Now I have it under my left shldr blade. The burn slowly builds to an intense level of pain then subsides and comes back again about 20 seconds later. Lasts for about 2-4 days. It has kept me up all night. Then it will suddenly stop and I can go 2weeks with out pain, then it's back again. Asprin or ibuprophen does nothing at all. Breathing or eating does not affect it, nor bending over or trying different positions. Any thoughts?

sounds like bursitis or impingement syndrome. Better go see an orthopaedic doctor !!!!

Hi

I had a similar experience and I found that it was not related to any joint problems but more so when I had contracted a viral illness which left me with M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). A Nurse friend had told me it was to do with the Lymph node endings becoming exposed which created the burning sensation. My Doctors of the time could not offer any solution and it subsided by itself. It is a bizarre sensation and I hope you find your explanation and solution.

I am a 23 year old male. Approximately two years ago I had a slip and fall accident at my job. (At the time I was working as a surgical assistant at a local hospital) Within a few days of the accident I noticed a burning sensation that presented itself at approximately 3 inches from the base of my neck towards the left shoulder. Within fifteen minutes of the pain's onset it became very intense. The maximum recomended dose of Tylonal did absolutely nothing to help. At the one hour mark of the inital pain onset, the sensation became absolutely unbareable. I have been through gallstones and surgery and the pairtial severance of my thumb yet this was the most intense, severe and unremitting pain that I have ever experianced. The pain would not even let me lie down so through out the night. Bengay, asprine, and heat packs offered no relief, which ment no sleep. The pain continued through the morning but died down to just weak enuff to bare.  I paid a visit to the hospitals doctor, he gave me a script for Ibu profin (which I cannot take) and sent me for Xrays. The Xrays were inconclusive of anything ortho related. That night the pain returned and ripped me from my sleep in a barrage of tears. With no pain medications that could eliveiate the pain I was forced to endure another sleepless night with a pain that was now so intense death seemed a better option than suffering. The pain only seemed to attack at periods of rest or ATTEMPTED relaxiation, neither of which were at all possable. After about 3 sleepless nights I begin to uncontrollably fall into micro-naps during the day, my friends told me they were random and resembled the characteristics of narcolepsy. After some time I was reffered to a Sports medicine surgon, more xrays of my shoulder and neck revieled ostioarthritis but the doctor stated that this would not cause this type of pain. An injection of steroids into the actual anatomical shoulder did not help. Through out a period of several weeks I was treated by this physician with no avail. I was also reffered to physical therapy which seemed to worsen the problem. I was released from this doctor and reffered to an orthopedic shoulder specialist. A quick exam and MRI's of the shoulder revealed degenerative joint desease and bone spurs but again I was told that this was NOT the problem. I was then referred to an orthopedic spine specialist. Another physical exam by this surgon and I was sent back to radiology for more xrays and MRI of the cervical spine and thorasic spine. No abnormal findings were present on the images. The doctor reffered me yet again to a physican of physical medicine. The phys. Meds. Doctor was the most thorough of all physicians I have seen. After more physical therapy, triggerpoint steiod injections, ESTM, and EMG nerve testing the doctor said there was nothing more he could do. I was then released from medical treatment. I consulted with one of the surgons that I worked with and he informed me that I needed to start over since NOW workers comp was not footing the bill. One night when I could not handle the pain any longer I was taken to the ER. After the pain was under control I asked the ER physician to inject the actual spot where the pain was felt with lydocaine. He ablaged and reffered me back to my primary doctor. I was then reffered to an orthopedic surgon of osteopathic medicine. This doctor ordered a spinal steroid injection. Upon my follow up visit I was examined and it was found that the injection did not help. Another spinal steroid injection was perscribed. The pain from the procedure trumphed the established pain for a few days but I was so happy to have something else to focus on, a new sensation! Once the pain from the injection subsided I was once again misserable, in ungodly pain. Tremadol has been the most relaible and effective medicine for the pain. The financial toll of the doctors visits, medicines and test that I have already accumulated are considerably more than any 23 year old can afford even with the assistance of insurance. I am now at my witts end and desprate for an answer. This pain has consumed my life, and put me in a depression that is only scriptable by the imagination of God. PLEASE HELP!!!                  

I know exactly what your talking about ! I am also in the medical field and have tried everything the only think that helps is this : a mild muscle relaxer (flexirl) and find a corner that sticks out of a wall and stand with your back to it the the corner in the middle of your back slowly back in to it and squeeze your shoulderblades to gether do this for as long as you can repeat 4 or 5 times it should relieve the pain and the spasms and burning. Now a chiro taught me this and i hate to say it but it is stress related .When I am under tremendous stress it comes back.The muscle relaxers will take the pain away and the exercise against the wall will break up the muscle spasms I hope this heps. :-)

answerseeker wrote:

Hi I am wondering if you ever found relief for this pain?? I dont know if it's too late, hopefully I can get in contact with you still since I am too going through the exact same thing and taking Tramadol as well.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

YOLO ;) You guy need to suck up the pain!

I get a bruning sensation almost under my left shoulderblade closest to my spine... A doctor to get a marijuana perscription told me i had herniated a disk...i thought he was just being a quack and saying that so i could get my marijuana license but he perscribed cortizone pills and some sort of neck brace i would have to wear but never got those things. Now im really thinking he might of been right try putting your arm over your head it relievates the pain in my situation at least but yeah icy hot only works for five seconds then i need more today is horrible

Why would you say something like?

Pull your head in prick

Hi did you ever get answers for your pain? I'm experiencing the same pain been to a lot of doctors but they don't know what's wrong with me this is my email address ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private email address is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Im on amiodarone. They say it can affect thyroid. Since I started this medication,a couple weeks later I was getting a burning sensation on or under shoulder blade.