This morning I have noticed one strange thing, and that is placed in my mouth. I realized my gums are swollen and I am so worried about it. I believe I do not have bad teeth, so I do not understand what it could be. Can anyone tell me what does it mean, and what causes for swollen gums are? Should I visit my dentist, and what to expect there, is he going to extract teeth or what?

Swollen gums mean the same term as gingival swelling, and that is abnormally enlarged, bulged or protruded gums. That is quite common condition and it may involve one or many papillae, which are triangular-shaped bits of gum between teeth. Sometimes, gums could swell significantly, which might obscure teeth altogether. Common causes of swollen gums are infections by virus or fungus or gingivitis. Those are most commonly reported causes, but also and poorly fitting dentures, sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash could be cause. In some cases, swollen gums can be because of side effects of some medicines, such as Dilantin. Malnutrition, vitamin C deficiency, and pregnancy are possible causes if you have noticed symptom of swollen gums. At home, improve your nutrition if it is poor, and avoid gum irritants such as commercial mouthwashes, alcohol and tobacco. If swell became severe, persistent or if it is accompanied by some other unexplained symptoms, you should call your health care provider. He will take your medical history and obtain physical examination.