I have not been able to make a connection between my mouth symptoms and the medication adderall anywhere. But last month I took it a few days and almost immediately I developed a very sore, inflamed mouth. It was impossible to eat because of the burning and difficult to swallow. It is way more than just an annoying side effect. It went away by itself after stopping the medication within a few days.

Call me stupid or whatever but last week I decided to give the medication another try. The 2nd day, the mouth pain came back with a vengence. There is no doubt that adderall is causing it. I stopped the medication but my mouth is still very painful. When I try to eat everything burns the inside of my lips and my taste buds are "off". Am I the only one this has happened to?

I think my wife is suffering in a similar way. She has some kind of throat problem at the base of her tongue. Have you been able to find out any more info?

I found a post on a message board about someone who had a very similar reaction! Now I know I'm not crazy lol. Let me see if I can find the link.

oops..looks like I accidentally re-registered under my usual nic,,,texasgirl and texassweetpea are both me lol

https://www.steadyhealth.com/adderall_swollen_mouth_t68851.html

Here is the link!

My sore inflamed mouth is just about gone. But one lingering effect is my inability to swallow! I can't seem to swallow unless I take a drink or eat something. Hmmm....weird.

texasgirl wrote:

Hi! I have never experienced anything radical like that with Adderall but I still have dry mouth and thirst as a side effects. I knew that this is a side effect of many drugs, especially antidepressants and many more, so I didn’t pay too much attention although I did kept licking my lips.
It is obvious you are having some kind of reactions to the drug. Have you reported this to your doctor? I reckon you need another approach or see if there’s a way to get rid of the side effect, or get a lower dose, change the drug or whatever your doctor may think it could help.

I have inflamed taste buds and take adderal, but did not make the connection until I read texas girl's post. Adderal makes my mouth very dry so that could have something to do with it. When they get too painful I put Orajel mouth sore medicine on them which helps a lot. Adderal also makes me clench my mouth and I'm wondering if this action wears down the teeth so that they are sharper in areas and tend to irritate my tongue. I also bite the sides of my moth a lot. I asked my dentist, but he did not have a clue. He did make me a mouth guard to wear at night which did help, but unfortunately I lost it. Hope this helps other sufferers!

I have been taking Adderall for almost two years. There is a connection between the Adderall and a sore mouth. I also get it to and know it is real painful. Its all got to do with nerves. The Adderall is what they use to call 100% pure speed. Your body is speeding and a lot of people will grind there teeth. I don't but I am always moving my tongue and rubbing it against the teeth tell I rub it raw. Another thing is I am always causing a suction with my mouth and that will cause my gum's to get sore and also my throat. After a couple of days my mouth and tongue are so tore up I can't put anything in my mouth. If I find my self doing these actions now I will try to chew gum, it helps stop the weird behavior.

I have been taking Adderall XR for a little over a year. From the start I barely had an appetite and when I would force myself to eat something the roof of my mouth would hurt and swell. There is no indication of this being a side effect in any of the prescription info. Just today I was only able to take 2 bites of my lunch before I gave up because the pain was too much to handle. If anyone finds any other information about this side effect please share with the rest of us!!

I have been taking Adderall for a few months, and recently switched to Adderall XR, and although I noticed a progressive increase in tongue and lip sensitivity, by about 5 days after switching to the XR formulation, the pain in my tongue and lips was extreme (as if I had burned them). My sense of taste was also gradually affected, and by approximately the 5th day when my symptoms were at their worst, my tongue was swollen, and I started to feel pressure toward my throat from the tongue inflammation.

Because I had been taking the regular Adderall formulation for several months without problems, I had initially attributed the reaction to fruit I had eaten during the same period, but discontinuing the intake of the fruit did not stop the progression of the symptoms. I decided to discontinue the Adderall XR, but it took about a week after I stopped taking it for my mouth to return to normal. I reported the events to the pharmacist and to my doctor, but neither one of them had experience with patients having this sort of reaction to Adderall XR.

I have been searching online for information on the reaction that I experienced, but this and a couple of other posts are the only ones that mention it. I tried to contact the manufacturer, but they have very limited hours for adverse event reporting, and have not been able to reach them to discuss this with them. I would like to find out if a component in the XR formulation is responsible for this reaction, and which component specifically is responsible, so that I can avoid it in the future, as it is likely to be present in other formulations.

Although the pain that I experienced was severe, the pressure that I began to feel toward my throat from the swelling of my tongue seems to be something fairly serious to consider, as it could have progressed into respiratory obstruction and/or anaphylactic shock, particularly since this is an extended release formulation.

Since I have not been able to contact the manufacturer, I will instead file a Serious Adverse Report with the FDA (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm), and I would encourage anyone who experiences potentially life-threatening reactions to this and any medication to do the same. Since my reaction involved the initial stages of respiratory obstruction, and not just the pain, and because the XR formulation has the potential to increase the severity of the anaphylaxis-like symptoms due to its continued administration, I would consider this type of reaction fairly serious.

Anyone take adderall and experience swollen glands in the mouth? I have bad mouth pain and also swollen salivary glands. Freaked me out, but I think it's the adderall. Going to my dentist on Monday.

I'm 20 years old. I've never gotten a prescription for adderall. But I have taken it multiple times only when I really need to get sh*t done. Its perfect for work and school. Everytime I've taken adderall I dont eat for 24 hours or more and my mouth hurts like hell when I try to eat something. I also have a constant need to be smoking something. But then I stop taking it for a while and then everything back to normal and I quit smoking. I also get bad comedowns and dont sleep at all. Its fun once in a while but I never feel the need to keep taking it.

when i started on adderall, i would frequently rub my tongue against my teeth until a sore spot developed, and then i couldn't help but bite the sore spot or rub it against my teeth. it was almost compulsive.

i'm not a medical student or a doctor, just an undergrad student in an arts major, but i've done some reading (thanks, adderall! :-) ) and here's what i've pieced together: adderall's active ingredients are amphetamine salts. amphetamine is a stimulant, and as with most stimulants, acts in part by enhancing dopaminergic activity in the central nervous system. many drugs with pro-dopaminergic activity, amphetamines included, have the potential to make people more "twitchy": prone to repetitive motor actions like grinding jaws, scratching, or picking. this is the same reason methamphetamine users frequently have open sores, scars from repetitive scratching, missing teeth, and other lovely features. :-)

as i understand it, the same dopaminergic activity is also (partially) responsible for adderall's intended effects. what this might mean is that adding another drug to counter the side effects could resolve them, but at the same time reduce the adderall's therapeutic benefits. if that's the case, your best bet would probably be to see about lowering your dose of adderall and hope that you're more sensitive to the benefits than the side effects.

one fda-approved adhd treatment that doesn't have the same stimulant/dopaminergic properties is strattera. i was on it for a while and i didn't find it that helpful, but i guess some people get help from it.

likewise, i hope someone finds this post useful.

i just took 210 mgs of adderall last night. now today i tried to eat some chicken and it felt like there was a rash on the roof of my mouth. i could continue eating but not without moderate pain. milk seemed to help a little bit.

? i just lucked up on this post. i thought i was the only person with a mouth problem from taking adderall, evidently not! i stopped taking it around a week ago and my mouth is getting better. but i really need the adderall for my horrible fibroid and cfids. i'm on permanent disability and so far only adderall has helped the fatigue and brain fog. i guess if i want help, i'll suffer for it.
has anyone developed pancreatitis while on this? i swear there is a connection. i suffered for two yrs with it and now sometimes when i take my adderall my pancrease starts to hurt again. i was on the adderall for the two yrs also.