I am a 25 year old woman and I am using Zonegran for years. I am trying to get pregnant for past 3 months with no success. I heard that it is dangerous to stay pregnant while taking Zonegran. I have an appointment with my doctor soon, but till then I would like to know more details. Will Zonegran have effects on my baby if I stay pregnant?

Women who could possibly become pregnant should use effective birth control while using Zonegran. Seizures in the mother also may be hazardous to a fetus; however, the risks and benefits must be weighed in considering the use of Zonegran during pregnancy. The use of Zonegran during pregnancy hasn't been fully studied. However, there are some serious concerns based on animal studies. Studies in animals showed decreasing in fertility, when zonisamide was given. Effect on human fertility is unknown and so are the effects on labor and delivery. About 20% to 35% of women have seizures more often during pregnancy. This happens because of changes in hormones or changes in how their body handles seizure medicine. It is recommended to check the level of medication in the blood regularly during pregnancy, that the dosage can be adjusted as needed. You should tell your doctor right away if you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant.

hello i am also on zonogram....been on it for years...i am expecting my second child......already have a healthy beautiful child.....took zonogram throughtout my whole pregnancy along with folic acid.....everything went well....even labor and delivery was a breeze...... you should be finee

Hi i've been on zonogran for the past 3 years and we are trying for our 1st child. i'm 10 days late and keep getting negative results.

could the zonegran be effecting the test or did you have a positive result straight away ?

Hi I was also wondering if it could mess with the test results at all. I'm 2 weeks late with some symptoms and negative hpt?

Hello, did you ever find out? I'm in the same boat as you. 5 days late, neg hpt, just upped my zonegran dose.

Hello I have been taking zonegran for a few years now and i have fallen pregnant my tests are negative but I'm 20 weeks now and the test are still not showing up i do think it's got something to do with our medication and you will have a hard time getting the Dr's to believe you it's like bashing your head against the wall and you don't need that stress try work out your date of last period and go from there you will have your due date.