Me and my husband are trying to conceive but I have diabetes type 2. I found out that I had diabetes type 2 about 4 years ago. What I'm concerned about is if having diabetes type 2 will make it difficult to conceive. I'm also concerned about what happens when and if I do get pregnant, will I have trouble with the pregnancy? Will this hurt my baby in any way. I really can't imagine my life without children and I think my husband feels the same way. Does anyone know anything about diabetes and pregnancy? If you do, please share with me. Thanks very much!

Hello there, I have diabetes as well and I have two children. I didn't have any problems but I took good care of myself before, during and after my pregnancies. As, far as I know, most diabetic women with type 2 have no problem getting pregnant. So, there shouldn't be a problem there. Your good to go as long as you manage your diabetes well. It is true that being diabetic puts you in a high risk category but really all that means is that your healthcare provider will keep a closer eye on you.

It is important to manage your diabetes well when your trying to get pregnant because once you do get pregnant it becomes even more important. Uncontrolled blood sugar levels during pregnancy will effect by you and your baby. Having diabetes increases the risk of having a baby with birth defects. During the first six weeks of your pregnancy, when the baby's organs are first forming, is critical. High blood sugar levels can trigger birth defects. As you may know, most women don't they're pregnant right away and in fact, it may take 2 to 4 weeks to figure it out. So, make sure your glucose levels are under control before you get pregnant.

First off, Byetta is an injectable diabetic medication that is used to control diabetes type 2 and it is not insulin. It's often prescribed in early stage type 2 along with exercise and proper diet. You should know that Byetta is not for type 1 and shouldn't be used in children or individuals who kidney dysfunction.

If you are taking Byetta, then you know that the manufacturer Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has a registry for women who are pregnant and taking Byetta. The registry is for collecting information on women who are pregnant and taking Byetta and how they are doing during their pregnancy and any complications that may arise during or after delivery.

The FDA has labeled Byetta as a pregnancy Category C drug based on animals studies. It is not know at this time how Byetta affects pregnant women. When you begin thinking about becoming pregnant, talk to you doctor about what options you have. Your doctor will evaluate your particular situation and then make recommendations to you. When trying to find information, try going to a reputable source which really should be a highly rated medical site or your doctor. That's always your best bet. But, for now, I hope this will help well enough to get you on your way.