I would like to hear something about C reactive Protein. What is its role in human blood and tissue? What does it indicate when elevated or lowered? I have never heard about this protein before. My friend had to get it measured and fortunately (I guess) it was normal.

C reactive protein is produced in liver; it is plasma protein that indicates inflammation in body. So, increased level of c reactive protein happens in inflammation because it helps activation of humoral response to disease, which means that antibodies are produced. Diagnostically, it is measured as a marker of inflammation, in bacterial or viral infections, patients with arthritis, autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome... Elevated basal levels of crp may indicate increased risk for heart disease and hypertension. More than 3mg/l means that the risk is high. CRP level can be lowered with weight loss, exercise, aspirin, niacin etc.