I smoked pot off and on for about 4 months of my pregnancy to help me eat more! I have had multiple people tell me that hospitals in Ohio now drug test the baby's stool after delivery. My question is, how far back does the stool go? And, where can I find information on this? I have browsed the net but came up empty handed! If ANYONE can help me please do so.

Depending on when you last smoked - before you gave birth! The THC will be in yours and thus the babies system for upto 48 hours! Also the baby has Meconium and due to this material being TOTALLY from being in the womb gives a perfect testing ground for doctors! Because whatever is in the Meconium - is what the baby swallowed inutero! also doing illecit drugs can also cause delays in the baby's development!

THC can stay in a person's body for as long as 3 to 90 days after smoking or being ingested orally.

There are numerous determining factors for how long drug toxins stay in a persons body which vary from person to person, such as the analytical method used, your health, your body weight, metabolism, fluid intake, the type of drug toxin, and the degree of exposure to the drug toxin.

Also it isn't just Ohio that test the Meconium, it is used for Many tests in MANY countries and states!! Hopefully this hasn't affected your baby! I don't know if it is best to come forward and mention your drug use now OR take a chance and see if they test your baby - also they do NOT have to tell you! IF they suspect from how the baby reacts right after birth - The Apgar Test - If the doctors or nurses have ANY concern, they have the law behind them to do as many tests as they want! ALSO they HAVE to let Social Services know!! You should NEVER take any illegal drugs or drink or smoke while pregnant! I hope everything works out OK!

I wouldn't worry yourself too much over this. When I was pregnant I had a history of substance abuse and was put on Methadone by my OB docter. I worried like hell that they were going to test my babys stool when she was born. They did not. I think the only time they would do this is if the Mother is exibiting signs of drug abuse or if there were obvious reasons for them to do this. Like if you were admitted to the hospital for some reason during the last months of your pregnancy and they tested your urine and found lots of bad stuff then possibly. I know you're probably still worried. They do test your urine. If anything, be upfront with the docters, they've heard it before, believe me. I was upfront with them, my OB especially because hey, if your first priority is for your baby to be healthy and they can see that you are really concerned, then they are more sympathetic than if you just don't say anything at all. This is your choice though. I had an issue with cocaine and pills and they did find out through the urines, but I was upfront and told them I needed help. That I wanted help for my babys sake. Thats why I was put on the methadone. They are there to help, not to judge, and if you get a nurse or docter that is that way, its your right to ask for another because of their discrimination. And people will have their opinions. I think we already know that we shouldn't be doing anything at all during pregnancy, but that isn't always as easy as it sounds. I don't think it's any womans intent to hurt their unborn child. There are other factors that go into it.
My baby is now 4 months old and healthy as can be, meeting all her milestones and is just beautiful. I'm not happy about what I did when I was pregnant, I wasn't expecting to get pregnant, but things happen and you have to cope. I did the best I could. I stopped everything but the methadone for the last 5 months of my pregnancy. I stayed on the lowest dose I could then too. But I was monitered by many docters as well. Best of luck to you.

I just wanted to add another 2 cents! Girl next door, the reason why you weren't investigated is because - like you said - you were upfront and were already under the care of a doctor, and getting the right help! There was nothing else they could do! They probably made sure your baby was fine - with the Apgar test - and then checked your records and were satisfied enough that no further actions was warranted OR needed! With this other lady, from what I can see, HASNT been upfront about her drug use! And I know MANY women that have lost their babies - for different reasons - because the nurses and doctors that are helping them HAVE seen it all! And they know exactly what to look for! I'm sure you will agree with that! A dear friend of mines daughter was in an abusive relationship, always taking the bum back, just before she gave birth he strangled her, so she put makeup on her neck and didn't say anything to anyone! Because she didn't want HIM to get into trouble!!! 8-| So during labor, the makeup came off and there were her bruises and the nurses saw it, contacted Social Services and her son was taken immediately, they had to fight tooth and nail to get the baby back! IF you keep things quiet, most of the time they come back to bite you! Depending on how far along Lidibug is, I think she needs to come clean to her doctor, so he/she can help her and advise her what to do next! Do you agree with that, since you basically did exactly that?

Thank you girls you were both helpful! When I took my first drug test @ the drs. they did find the THC but, like I told them... I quit. They haven't found anything since. So, I sould be alright. I have a drs. appointment in the morning so, I think I'm going to ask about the stool testing and if it would show up considering they already knew I smoked then. But, thank you both. This is also my first baby, I think that's why I'm so freaked out about the whole stool testing. Like you said GirlNextDoor... the only ppl. who have told me about it are ppl. that have had CPS called on them so, I think I sould be alright. I will post back tomorrow to give you more info on what I've learned from the drs. Thanks again!!

Lidi Bug!

Yes Bambi27, I'm happy that I did come out to my docters about my issues. I worried myself sick over what I was doing and telling them about it got it off my chest. They really helped me out a lot as well. I'm where I am now because of that. I can understand why they do what they do, to save an innocent child from abuse. I've heard too many horrible stories of babies being abused and killed and I know that if they weren't doing their jobs, than a lot more of that would happen. But I'm getting a little far from the topic now. I hope the best for you lidibug86 and it looks like you're going to be just fine. Keep us posted. :-D

Got the good news today! I talked to my dr. about the pot being in the baby's stool. She said that there's no way it should show up by the time I deliever, so I'm ok! I probably won't be back on until I need futher help. So, you ladies take care and care of the little ones!!

hi girls,
i was looking on the web for this question exactly ,seeming im in the same situation .the whole conversation helped me= se im not the only one who finds it very difuclt to stay completly clean during pregnance. And as horible as it sounds or selfish to someone who doesnt suffer from the desies of addiction,it the reality.thank you very helpfull, deffinatly going to keep an eye for yoyr delevery .. wish u a healthy and happy one and a beautiful baby.pray that reaching out to god always helps me reflect .

i have the same question. i live in texas and have been told that they test your babies stool and if anything is present CPS is called and your baby is taken away, i have told my OB that i smoked weed previous to finding out i was pregnant. but as far as she knows i do not smoke any longer i have quit or have tried it is very difficult for me to eat if i do not smoke and i have lost weight drastically since becoming pregnant due to the fact i cant eat, they say it can take up to 90 days for an avid smoker to be clean my baby is due at the end of july so i should be safe but i do not know if his poop holds all of what is consumed in utero and released after birth im very scared this is my first child. i do not want to harm my baby and i do not want him taken away from me. what should i do?

I am living proof that THC can not enter into the babys system through the uterus, I smoked with both of my children, occasionally throughout the pregnancy. The day I gave birth of both my kids I tested positive and neither one of them did! Now other things like cocaine, meth, or anything that enters into the blood strem after use will be in the babies first stool once the bowels are developed, and that is usually around 15 weeks. Just a little tip they are stricter now then before, quite smoking about 45 days before you are due; completely, to ensure you do not test positive at delivery, and I promise you the baby will not test positive, even if you smoke before you walk in! Also babies will not show any sign of withdraw from just mariuajana, all the chaos about smoking will pregnant is c**p, eevn my doctor told, the best OB in Ohio, she would rather me smoke marijuana than cigarettes.

I smoke till my 5th months n I was on prescription oxycodone for all of my pregnancy. So I quit pot at my 5th month.when my baby was born they tested his poop,wich I thought was for the oxy. My baby was born with no affects from oxy.but when the tested his poop it was positive for thc..long story short cps was call by pediatrician n they didn't let me take baby home till they went n checked out my apartment first. Everythang checked out at my house so they let me bring baby home. Its been 3mnths n haven't heard from cps but my guard is still up n don't smoke. My advise don't smoke if ur pregnant. Terrible n scary. To think my baby wld b taken away.

does thc stay in the baby system longer or the same length as the mothers?

Just so that everyone here knows, we do test meconium (child's first fecal matter) for infants and the meconium contains traces of drugs consumed during prenatal care.  Children's Protective Services gets informed and investigates these families.  A child that test positive for substances is considered physically abused when he/she is born.  Stop smoking and quit being the selfish mothers .  Don't just think of yourselves and your desire to consume drugs and think of your unborn child.  If you do not care enough for your child to quit using drugs then the State should take the infant into custody and keep them safe.  A concerned Children's Protective Services Investigator.

maybe u should read the article writtten by senater nacy shaffer about

the 'f" ed way the system gets bonuses for taking children out of the home read that and email me on how the hell this has not been let out to the pubic _[removed]_ i will be waiting

could you tell us please how often THC is found in newborn babies, as opposed to other drugs? Is it the most found or are others found more often