Hey there. My grandmother had Brugada syndrome. My mom had it as well. So, it is logical that I am scared that I can get it as well. And of course, I don’t want to. I want to find some ways to prevent it because I am terrified of this. If my grand mom had it, if my mom had it I believe that there is a big chance for me to get it as well. Maybe I am losing my mind but I think that I am having some unusual symptoms that I never had before. Can you tell me what are signs and symptoms of Brugada syndrome and can it be prevented?

Hello there.

So the signs and symptoms of Brugada syndrome do exist, but very often patients do not feel it. It is really possible to have a Brugada sign without having a Brugada syndrome as well.

But, some signs that can indicate that you are dealing with Brugada syndrome are : fainting, irregular heartbeats, heart palpitations and extremely fast and chaotic heartbeats. Shortly, symptoms are similar to some other heart rhythm problems so if you notice anything different you should see your doctor immediately.

Since Brugada syndrome is an inherited condition currently there is no known way to prevent this disorder.

Hey you two,

MakeMeCoffe is right, Brugada syndrome is something that cannot be prevented because of the fact that it's an inherited disorder.

Many people who have Brugada syndrome are undiagnosed because the condition often doesn't cause any noticeable symptoms. The symptoms are usually not something that you can notice by yourself. There is is an abnormal pattern on an electrocardiogram (ECG) called a type 1 Brugada ECG pattern. You can't feel a Brugada sign, it's only detected on an ECG. There are some other signs but you shouldn't really connect them to Brugada syndrom because they can be connected to a numerous types of heart disorders.

Hi Guest,

As they have told you already, Brugada syndrome is one of those things that cannot be prevented but luckily for you, in most cases, you won't even know that you have it.

As Health n Joy wrote, the only way to know for certain that you have Brugada syndrome is that you go to ECG. But look at it like this: If you don't have any other symptoms which could make you think that you have this syndrome, then you shouldn't go to ECG. What would you want to know that you have Brugada syndrome if it's not even affecting you? No need for that.

Hi everyone,

Adria, some people just want to know what are they suffering from, even if they aren't seeing any particular symptoms. But I think that you are right, no need to bother yourself about it if you aren't feeling any way different or noticing anything strange happening to you. If you didn't notice any symptoms so far, you are unlikely to notice them later on in life.

Rather than doing ECG, some things that could show that you got Brugada syndrome are fainting and different and weird heartbeats. Now, even if you have these, they can mean bunch of other heart problems, and not necessarily Brugada syndrome.

Hey everyone.

A lot of people actually don’t have any symptoms when they are dealing with Brugada syndrome and that is very common. So, you don’t have to have symptoms that are unusual to know that maybe you are having this syndrome.

As you could already see in here, those are symptoms (that others write you in here) but if you notice that generally you are feeling different, you should check with your doctor what is going on.

Unfortunately, there are several people who can tell you that this can be prevented with some diet program etc.. But no.. it cannot be prevented.

Hello everyone.

First, symptoms and sings in patients with this syndrome can include :

• Syncope and cardiac arrest. Tis is very common and in many cases that can happen while you are sleeping or while you are resting,
  • Nightmares,
  • Trashing at night,
  • Atrial fibrillation,
  • Fever – this is also very often but sometimes you may thing that this is nothing.

I know that some people used to tell me that this can be prevented and because they were talking a lot about it, I decided to ask my doctor about it.

And he told me that Brugada syndrome cannot be prevented.

Hello everyone,

Well, this one is for sure, it definitely cannot be prevented. I believe that we all know that inherited diseases and conditions can't be prevented, like in this case.

Most people won't show any symptoms. Aurora wrote the symptoms that you might have if you have a Brugada syndrome, but there are actually more people who don't feel any symptoms and never even know that they have this syndrome rather then those who do. 

I'll also agree with people above who wrote about diagnosing this syndrome with an ECG test. It's actually the only proper way of diagnosing it since it shows a special type of an abnormal pattern.