Hi dear cat and dog lovers. How have you been? I have a new question for you and this time I’d like only cat owners to answer. Of course everyone can share their opinion, but I’d like to hear it from someone who has a cat and who already had similar problems with her. So, here’s the thing – I need to find out more about renal failure in cats. Can you help me, do you have any experience with it? For starters, can you tell me what is the best treatment for renal failure in cats? Thank you all, in advance.

I'm a cat owner and here is what I can tell you. This can be very dangerous for cats. Chronic kidney failure offers better survival rates than acute kidney failure.

The treatment for acute kidney failure includes:

-Inducing vomiting , this way the cat will throw up ingested poisons

- The cat is given intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration

- Vets usually include some meds that provoke increased urination

- They manage stuff which go along with this condition, such as anemia and electrolyte imbalances

-Peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis is also done in order to purify the blood.

That should be it. I’m not sure about the treatment for chronic kidney failure. 

Hello darling!

I am really sorry to hear this, because this can be a huge problem for your little one. I hope that everything will be ok, and if you haven’t visit the vet, you should do this.

Remember, if you don’t treat it, it can be really wrong for your cat.

But, now, we are here to help you and here are some main treatments in this case.

The best thing that you can do is to search the best diet for kidney failure in cats, and those diets are usually proteins diet program. It can be very rigorous diet program, remember this. 

Hello. As you all probably do know, I don’t have any experience with cats, since I didn’t have cat in my life – never. But, my mom is passionate cat lover, and I think that I have heard her a lot of times talking about this issue. Here we go. I know that older cats can experience this more often than younger cats. And, about the treatment, it is usually determined by the type of disorder. For example, acute renal failure must be given emergency treatment. It is caused by any kind of urinary tract blockage. In this case, I think that the best treatments is with meds. And, for the beginners, consulting with your vet to tell you more about meds. 

Hey everyone!

I am really sorry about this issues, since I have a cat and dog as well.

I don’t know what I can tell you about this. I think that there are so many different treatments, and they should be determined by your vet.

I know that in lot of cases, vet will prescribe medical treatment for your cat. Maybe you are against it, but you should not be, because with some good diet program, this should be really helpful to your cat.

Remember, this is really progressive disease, and it should be observed by your vet always.

Treatment is needed in this case. 

Hey all and hi there Mia. Treating renal failure won’t be easy for you, nor for your cat. It’s a progressive disease and you can’t really stop it except by a surgery which is done only if you find out on time that your cat has trouble with her kidneys. Your vet will know the best treatment for your cat after he examines her, but I can guess what he is going to tell you. He is going to recommend a low protein diet, and ask you to bring your cat regularly to him so he can follow her progress. He is going to tell you to give her a lot of liquid to drink, too, so that she urinates more often.

Dalmatian_lover had a good answer on this one. In the above post (s)he explained pretty much everything that is done to treat dogs with renal failure. Of course, some of those things are not always needed.

It’s crucial to find a good vet cause some of them have a lot more experience with renal failure than the others and that’s very important if you want to get the right treatment.

My brother’s vet for example never told him that his dog needs to get intravenous fluids and his dog ended up to be dehydrated.

So, be careful when choosing the vet.

I have found an article few days ago about chronic renal failure and here is what I’ve found there about its treatment.
The treatment includes: Treatment of underlying cause of kidney failure ,also there are drugs that are supposed to enhance urine production, there should also be a therapeutic diet. Electrolyte abnormalities need to be under control. Fluid therapy is needed, usually intravenous fluids. Anemia needs to be prevented. Then there are also medications for high blood pressure, vomiting or gastrointestinal problems if needed.
Some further steps include dialysis and if it’s really needed- a kidney transplant.