Hi, few days ago my neighbor was taken away in an ambulance car. It all happened during the night, and because of the noise all tenants woke up and rushed to see what was going on. It was not a pretty sight. My neighbor tried to commit suicide. Fortunately he failed. It appears that he was suffering from psychotic depression. Can you tall me how does one get this condition? Is psychotic depression curable? I am very worried that he may try to do it again when he leaves the hospital.

Hi, suicide is one of the symptoms of psychotic depression. This condition is characterized by depression, hallucinations as well as delusions. This means that people with psychotic depression may see or hear things that aren't there or have some fears that are not normal. But, unlike the people who suffer from other mental illness with the same symptoms, a person with psychotic depression is aware that the things he or she is experiencing are not true. This knowledge is very frustrating for them. It is believed that psychotic depression is somehow associated with high level of hormone cortisol. Why does the level of this hormone elevate is not known. However, it seams that psychotic depression is much more present at people who have family history of this illness. The treatment is carried out in a hospital. The hospitalization is usually longer, and after getting out of the hospital, the person that suffered from psychotic depression will have to have regular check ups.