So I met this girl not so long ago and we immediately felt like this spark between us. Anyway, we hooked up, everything was fine so far and now she wants me to meet her best friend. Now I know that it is important to leave a good first impression on her best friend but she told me that this girl is suffering from depression. I know that I need to be careful when it comes to interacting with people who are suffering from depression in order to not hurt them and I really want to leave a good impression so any tips are welcomed. 

You shouldn't talk much about you, only answer to what she asks you. She will probably want to talk a lot so you won't have to take the initiative, maybe in the beginning until she feels comfortable with you (if you get there). Depressed people like to be listened to and they want people to understand them and their point of view so I think that it would be the best to not oppose anything that she says, just stand by her side and tell her that you understand her. I think that will definitely get you some points with her.

I don't know anything about you Guest but I would suggest you to avoid some jokes that she might take seriously and be offended. You should really be yourself, never act to be something that you are not but be sure to give her attention, that is what she wants and what she likes. Try to understand her and her attitude towards things instead of pretending to understand or just judging her attitude towards things as wrong. I am sure that you are going to do just fine, if you are indeed a good person, you are unlikely to leave a bad first impression.

I just wanted to tell everyone that it all went so much better than I thought it would. I might have overthought everything because her friend was very nice to me and I couldn't even notice that she is suffering from depression. I told that to my girlfriend and she told me that that happens, that one day her friend is feeling awesome and being really friendly and the other day she might not want to leave her house or talk to anyone. 

Well, anyway, I listened to your advice and it turned out to be great, I actually left a good first impression.

There you go, I knew that it was going to turn out just fine. You were actually lucky that she was in a good mood when you guys met because I can tell you, depressed people are definitely not easy to talk to or interact with in any way. Now you will easily notice if it is not one of her better days when you meet her again. Then you will see for yourself how careful you have to be when you are dealing with someone who is suffering from depression. Well, the first impression is the most important one anyway.

Nice, easy and slow. Those are three main parameters that you really should follow. People who are depressed are nothing different than other people - they want to be normal, they want somebody to understand them, etc. I know that there are some people who are running away from people who have any type of depression. That is a mistake. We are humans as well!

I agree that you should avoid some jokes because depressed people sometimes don't understand them. How about some classic, ordinary chatting about some ordinary things?

Let her lead this conversation, let her be main in it.

Good advice! You have to be very careful when you are talking to person who is feeling down. As a friend you can do a lot of things. Be a good listener. Usually, when a person is depressed, one of the feelings many people experience is an overwhelming sense of loneliness — that no one can understand what they’re going through. They are all alone. Well, let her know that this is not true and that she is not alone. Also, whenever she wants to tell you that she wants to do something, she is seeking for support. So, be her support. For example, you can tell her - go girl, you can do it! I am here for you. Show her that boys are also a good listeners, just like ladies.

Well, I know what I don't want to hear. I really don't want to hear those words - everything is going to be ok, I think that nobody wants that, especially depressed persons. Also, we don't like to hear those sentences that are telling us that we are the best and that we are totally normal, that our behavior is OK, because that is not true.

Be normal, try to chat with depressed people in a normal way, about ordinary things. Let them tell you how they feel, don't push them. Be natural and normal and depressed person will be OK with it.  

Hi. The most important thing is to try to support person who is depressed. No matter what. If he or she tries to tell you something and you don't like that thing, please don't criticize that person. Whatever you say and do, you need to know that this has really huge impact on that person. Also, it doesn't matter how much you want to help that person, I would like to suggest you to avoid offering advice. Maybe that person won't understand what you are saying and that can be a huge problem. If you want to help him or her, just simply ask - what can I do to make you feel better. Just don't push.

Hello folks. This is very useful topic. I think that thanks to this topic, people will learn how to talk with us. We don't want your pity because we are like that, we just want to people accept us, to be normal with us and to understand when we are down. There is a reason for it, right?

Those are really good advice, but I would also suggest you one more thing - if you really care about this person, than you should try to learn as much as you can about depression. You should learn that this is not a regular illness and that you need to have patience with depressed people.