Hi! The area where my grandparents live is very rural. My grandparents live near the river bank surrounded by beautiful nature. Yet, it has its downsides. When it is raining for a long period of time their water source gets contaminated and they can’t drink the tap water. Since my grandparents are old and the nearest supermarket is very far, this basically leaves them without drinking water. I offered to buy them a big pack of bottled water so that they can use it in these kinds of situations, but my grandmother refused. She said she and grandpa would drink boiled water. Is boling a disinfection method? Is it safe for them to drink this kind of water?

Of course it is safe! Don’t worry; this method has been used for decades if not centuries. It is important though that she boils it for at least few minutes. This is supposed to kill all the bacteria in the water. I use this method also to disinfect some kitchenware. And I know for sure that we were advised to disinfect our water like that by local authorities a year ago when we had a case of contaminated water in our neighborhood.

Hi! Although I do agree that boiling is a well-known method of disinfection, I would rather take some bottled water to them if they were my grandparents. I think that although boiling is considered to kill all the bacteria, parasites and viral pathogens that can cause diseases, it cannot remove dissolved compounds so some of them can maybe harm people. And also, your grandmother is old and shouldn’t be standing near the stove waiting for water to boil.