Occasionally I get a terrible pain that begins in my right ear, goes down under my jaw, and down the right side of my neck. When this pain occurs, swallowing is terribly painful and the pain stays for various times. Serveral things such as yawning have caused this pain. I have no idea what is causing this. Any advice?

Research "Eagles Syndrome". Just discovered it was my problem after 2 years suffering. Look for knowledgeable ENT.

Ask your dentist or doctor about your TMJ joint. Its the jaw. A good test to see if something is like that is put your finger in each of your ears one at a time and bite down. If you feel movement more then the other its more then likely TMJ joint.

Hi Megfin,
When there is a pain in the ear that tends to go down to the jaw and neck the infection of the ear is present. The infection of the ear is called tinnitus and it is common and it can be very painful. The with tinnitus is that you can’t diagnose it on your one, because you can’t look inside of your own ear, so visit to a hospital is not that bad of idea. Have you been using any antibacterial medication? Or maybe some over the counter pain killers to ease the pain? Some people try to treat this on more natural way with herbs, and as I know it is possible but it takes more time.

Actually Marco, tinnitus is ringing in the ear. It has nothing to do with infection.

i get ear infections quite often, and the pain goes from the ear, into the jaw, sometimes the mouth, and down into the neck. make an appointment to see your doctor for an ear infection (which you can get from showering, swimming, a lot of wind, or even a runny nose). if the pain gets too bad and you cant wait, go to a hospital for treatment. they give you antibiotics, depending on the pain something to relive it, and send you home to drink lots of fluids and rest! i am dealing with this right now, and need to make an appointment tomorrow myself. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Tinnitus is actual hearing a buzzing or ringing noise in your ear. It is not an infection, merely a symptom that can be caused by many things.

Hi, Tinnitus is not an infection. It is the presence of sounds in the ear such as a high pitched ringing.

Tinnitus is ringing in the ear. An ear infection is otitis media.

Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia.. I was just diagnosed. :(

I am having the same exact problem. Please advise how to control this pain.

Also dealing with this for 3 months now . Was prescribed Amoxoclav twice , no real change. Then They tried to give me levoFloxin which I refused because that’s really only suggested as a last effort. It’s superstrong stuff that can actually manipulate your DNA . So they gave me Cefdinir which I have noticed a large difference in the amount of pain. Still having problems but it’s very muted, I’m about five days into the Cefdinir .. praying it works ..

Do not take levofloxin or levaquin or any fluoroquinolone! It’ll give you more problems than you have now. Google the drug. Tons of lawsuits and I suffered for 4 years as a result of 3 pills of that drug. The say the effects are rare but they’re not and the damage is permanent it’s also a chemo drug.