Hey all,

First off I'd like to state that I'm 20 years old, in good health, and have excellent hearing as of last June.

Anyways, exactly a week ago today I went hunting and I shot a gun for the first time. It was a .30-.30 rifle and I shot it once. About 10 minutes after I shot it my ears were ringing (obviously) but I noticed that my left ear was still ringing into the next day. So, 7 days go by and here I am today with the same ringing and uncomfortable feeling in my ear. The ringing isn't bad at all and I don't really hear it but my left ear is uncomfortable. When I say uncomfortable, I mean that when I talk to loud it's a bit sensitive. Also, it's almost as if theres some sort of echo or vibrating noise when I talk to loud sometimes. I've done my research and I know the ringing is called Tinnitus, but what I'd like to know is, do I have a good chance at it going away? I'm aware of the fact that everyone is created differently and somethings will affect others differently, but every case of Tinnitus I've read about is people who have it but they've got it cause they go to concerts or shoot guns all the time. I have never gone to a concert and this was the first time I shot a gun. Yeah, over my short 20 year life I have mowed the lawn and snowblowed without ear protection a handful of times, but who hasn't?

So with that said, do I have a good chance of it going away? has this happened to anyone else and it gone away? Should I go to an ENT or should I just wait another week or so to see if it goes away?

Thank you in advance.

I would see an ENT. You may have damaged your eardrum from the gun shot.

It's been almost a month now and I still have the same symptoms as you. Did you have any luck in solving the problem? I have not visited a doc at all, I've been hoping it will get better and the ringing will go away.

It's been almost a month now and I still have the same symptoms as you. Did you have any luck in solving the problem? I have not visited a doc at all, I've been hoping it will get better and the ringing will go away. Actually when there's a lot of loud noise / talking, my left ear sounds sort of like a blown speaker :-P

I went to a party with really loud music a couple of days ago and I have the same problem. Everytime I talk or someone talks or even if I whistle, I hear a ringing in my ear and I always have that uncomfortable feeling. Im going to go see a doctor. Ill let you guys know how it goes. If you have found a solution or if it has gone away for you, please tell.

Im having a problem like that right now. I was at a friend's house working on music x then I put on my headphones on the way home, x when I got home I heard ringing. This was uhm, 2 days ago x now ever since I still hear the ringing plus also I hear a vibrating sound when I talk loud. its sooo weird, i just want to know if it'll end soon. I dont have any insurance so I dont want to rush to the dr. x everything will be fine with waiting it out x prayer. Please help, thanx.

i'm also having the same "echo" problem every time i use powertolls for a few days after. any ideas? haven't been to see the doc yet tho.

Same here! I believe it was from me shooting off guns for the first time, and now i get that buzz upon loud voices, I discovered it when i was listening to music, i thought my headphones were broken. Anyone figure out anything?!

dear my fellow poor tinnitus sufferers,
if u r suffering from the affliction of tinnitus as the reslut of exposure to gunshots, certainly u'll have to bear it forever as it is completely a puzzle to be solved for the illiterate community of doctors at the moment. i've been tolerating it for 11 years since i was a drafted army serviceman in late 2000 in god-damned Iran's anarchy.
may god show us his gentler face soon,