Hi, folks. My friend’s kid has been diagnosed with meningitis. However, I think that lately he has been experiencing some hearing loss because of this. Is it possible that these two entities are related somehow? I will really appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hi, there. This shouldn’t surprise you. All these structures are close in the skull. Infection can spread from meninges to ear. Fungal and bacterial meningitis can often cause hearing loss. That is everyone who has survived this type of infection, should control his hearing after. Your friends should take their kid to an ENT specialist. He will make a final diagnosis. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I have also read something similar in the newspapers. Hearing loss can be indeed caused by meningitis. I have also read something about antibiotic called gentamycin. It seems that it can also damage ear structures. That is why doctors shouldn’t exaggerate when prescribing it. I don’t know what kind of therapy your friend’s kid got. I hope he’ll be all right and this is only false alarm. Was this helpful? Bye!

Hello. I would agree with all that is said above. Meningitis itself is a common cause for someone to lose his hearing sense. Infection can easily spread since these structures communicate. This is probably what happened in the case of your friend’s kid. They should really consult a specialist. He will see if it is possible to correct this. I sincerely hope so. Please, let me know what the specialist says. Bye!