Hello, folks. My cousin has been recently put in a hospital. She is diagnosed acute kidney failure. It seems she has been dehydrated because of a hard diarrhea. I was wondering whether this syndrome can be caused by some other conditions? I would really appreciate all your replies. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. Acute kidney failure can be caused by many other conditions. They are all divided into three groups: prerenal, renal and postrenal. Your cousin has a prerenal cause of acute kindey failure. These causes decreases the amount of blood that reaches kidneys and that is why kidneys “fail”. Dehydration is very common cause and beside diarrhea, it can be caused by vomiting or extensive burns. Occluded blood vessels that carries blood to the kidney can also be a cause. Renal conditions are the ones that happen in kidneys. Those are conditions such as glomerulonephritis, acute tubular necrosis, acute interstitial nephritis, vascular kidney disease, kidney tissue injury, etc. Postrenal factors are mostly obstructions caused by tumors or calculi in the urine pathways. I hope I've helped.