Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with meningitis and now he is hospitalized. I have heard something about vaccine and I would like to find out something more. For instance, when is it needed? Can anyone help me with this? I will really appreciate all your replies. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Meningitis is the infection of the layers that surround brain and spinal cord. You are right. This is a serious infection and should be treated in this way. Treatment should be done in hospital conditions, especially if it is bacterial meningitis. I know that there are two vaccines available in US, but I don’t know any details. Perhaps, you should consult a healthcare professional. If you find out something new, please tell me. Good luck to your friend! Bye!

Hello. Maybe I can help with some info. Indeed, there are two types of vaccines available in USA. The first one is meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine or also known as M.P.S.V.4 or Menomune. It is available from 1970’s. The other one is meningococcal conjugate vaccine or M.C.V.4 or Menactra. It was introduced in 2005. Both vaccines can prevent 4 types of meningococcal disease. Menactra gives better protection which lasts longer than Menomune. I hope this helps.

Hi, everyone. I have also heard about those 2 types of vaccines. Menactra is recommended for all kids up to 12 years of age. If other adolescents want to protect themselves with the vaccine, they should be allowed to do so. Other people who have higher risks should also get the vaccine. Those would be: college students who live in dormitories, microbiologists who work with these bacteria, US military recruits and anyone with damaged or removed spleen. People who travel to the countries where meningococcal disease is common should also get the vaccine. If people are between 11 and 55 years old and have these risks, they should be given Menactra. However, if it isn’t available, then Menomune can do the work. Menomune should be used for kids between 2 and 10 years old and for people older than 55. Bye!