Hello, good people. My closest friend has been diagnosed with meningitis. As far as I know, it is caused by haemophilus in his case. He was recommended to receive corticosteroids. This was little strange to me, so I would like to know if applying of these medications are usual for his disease. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Haemophilus influenzae is one of the three most common bacteria that cause meningitis. Those are also Neisseria meningitidis and Streptococcus pneumoniae. Haemophilus is more common for kids. However, it can appear in grownups as well. It is usually associated with weakened immune system. People with chronic diseases and immune suppression are more prone to this type of infection. I really hope that your friend will be all right. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hi, everyone. Meningitis is a serious infection. It is good that your friend is getting medical care. Corticosteroids are usually given when there is a need for reducing the inflammation. However, there are some new researches. Some experts think that corticosteroids can reduce the risk of meningitis consequences. I think that this is still only research. There must be more studies for any proof. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Good evening, all. Corticosteroids can indeed be useful in reducing some inflammation. However, one should be careful. Haemophilus infections can appear when there is the weakness of immune system. Steroids will only weaken it more. Steroids also give many side effects. That is why they should be taken under the strict supervision of a doctor. I hope your friend knows this. Good luck! Bye!