Hi, folks. My friend has been hospitalized due to meningitis. I know that this is a serious infection. In his case, it was caused by haemophilus. I would like to know if this kind of meningitis has some special characteristic. I would really appreciate all your replies considering this. Thanks. Bye!

Hello. You shouldn’t be surprised by this. Haemophilus influenze type B has been identified as one of the three most common bacteria that cause meningitis. Others are Neisseria meningitidis and Streptococcus pneumoniae. Haemophilus is more common for meningitis in children younger than 5. Before antibiotic era, this infection was deadly. More than 90% of the patients would die. Today this percentage is much smaller – less than 10%. Of course, prompt treatment is very important. I hope your friend will be all right. Bye!

Hi to you too. High fever is one of the characteristics of this meningitis. It is usually greater than 38.5 oC. If affected one is a kid, then his/her cry is also altered. Anorexia or vomiting is also possible. Skin color can be changed – they look little pale. Meningeal signs are also present in almost 80% of all cases. I hope your friend will be all right. Please, let me know if I can help with more info. Bye!

Hello, guys. I would agree that haemophilus is maybe more characteristic for kids younger than 5. Compromised immune system can also be a risk factor. People with malnutrition, chemotherapy, AIDS and in similar immune suppressed conditions are at greater risk. Certain pulmonary or chronic renal diseases bring also higher risks. There is also some genetic factor involved in this. Your friend should be examined thoroughly. Perhaps, he has some of these risk factors. I hope he’ll be fine. Bye!