Hello, folks. I have recently done Papanicolau and some suspicious changes were found. My doctor recommends me cervical conisation as a method that will suit me. I would like to know if I can get pregnant after this procedure or not. I would really appreciate all your replies. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Cervical conization is a procedure that has some risks for a woman. Uterus can be damaged during this procedure. In some cases, cervical canal can be narrowed or completely blocked which stops sperm to penetrate deeper. In some cases, a muscle tissue from cervix is removed more than it should be removed. In that way cervix becomes incompetent and it is difficult to carry on with pregnancy. Miscarriage is possible in that way. This procedure is performed in fewer situations than before. Newer methods have appeared. Discuss with your gynecologist whether you really need this procedure.