having light monthly period after partial hysterectomy

Health Advisor
Hi Wynn, it is really hard to say much about your situation when you didn’t provide much info. You didn’t say how long this has been going on. This may not be periods at all.
A partial hysterectomy or subtotal how it is differently called is a procedure in which only your uterus is removed by your ovaries and cervix are left intact. Although your ovaries will still be producing hormones, you won’t have periods because there is no uterus and periods represent shedding of the uterus lining.

I don’t know how long it has been since your partial hysterectomy but it is expected to have some light bleeding or maybe even just spotting up to 6 weeks after the surgery. Tampons are not recommended to soak the bleeding, so it would be wise if you used sanitary pads. You should refrain from sex at least 4 weeks following hysterectomy, until all the bleeding and spotting stops.

If your bleeding becomes heavier or something that I wrote doesn’t match, I think you should see your gynecologist as soon as possible.

Don't let anyone tell you that a hysterectomy to remove the uterus will stop your periods. I had mine removed on February 23rd, 2009, and I have not quit having a light period yet. I am depressed and in debt over this surgery. If I had known this in advance I would have not done it. I also have the monthly symptoms to go along with it every day. This is no different than before the surgery only that the period is lighter. I would advise everyone to keep their parts and just live with your problems.

Hi..I had a supra cervical hysterectomy on May 2009..n believe me I'm bleeding every month..its very light and yes sometimes I have te symptoms!!! That is so sad!!!!