Hello! I am 45 years old female. On my regular check up at the gyno’s, a pap smear indicated some abnormal cells, so she signed me up for a leep procedure. I heard that there could be some complications a associated with the LEEP like excessive bleeding. Is there anybody who can give me advice on how to avoid this bleeding.

Hello! I had bleeding after leep procedure but it was mild, and a slight discomfort as well. Here are some instruction I got from my gyno before the leep and they are about behavior after the leep. You should avoid having sex as long as the doc thinks is necessary, lift heavy objects, the use of tampons, douche, and having long baths. Only showers are recommended in order to prevent infection. And you should have regular check ups to make sure that this abnormal area is completely removed. Good luck with your surgery!!!!

I had a LEEP surgery earlier this month to remove high-grade dysplasia from my cervix and endo-cervical area. The surgery was very easy and fast - it did not require me to be put under and there was hardly any pain involved. I felt okay after the surgery and took it easy for at least a week after the surgery. My period started four days after the surgery - and I was bleeding a little more than normal and it lasted about 6 days, unlike the usual 3-4 days. About a week and two days after my surgery, I was ending my period and feeling fine. I had some work to do around the house and pushed some heavy boxes around (no lifting). That night, I was pretty stressed - and toward the end of the evening - I felt that I was bleeding more than normal. I went to check on it, and found that I was continuously bleeding, although I was barely spotting earlier in the day. It got heavier and large blood clots were coming out. I was very scared, so I paged my doctor. She called back and said that if I wasn't filling a pad every 15 min - I would be okay. I was bleeding quite a bit - but not as much as that. So, I tried to relax (I have anxiety - so this wasn't easy) - and layed down in bed with two pillows under my legs. I drank a lot of water and tried to keep my mind off of it by looking at a photo book.

So, my advice is don't stress/worry - because it is unhealthy and I think can actually slow the healing process- and don't exert yourself for quite some time after the surgery -even if it's pushing things around.

I had the leep procedure recently and was fine for a week, hardly any discharge at all. Then I started to bleed. I have been bleeding now for about 10 days, it's not heavy and I mainly notice it when I got to the loo. I have consulted my GP and also spoken to the Gynecology unit where I had the leep performed. They have both assured me it's nothing to be concerned about and that it just seems like I am taking slightly longer than normal to heal. Hopefully this is the case and it will start to tail off soon. I think women should be warned that this could happen as I was most concerned when the bleeding started a week later. Good luck :-)

I had the samething happen to me, i'm still bleeding and hope that it will stop. :)

Hi. I just had a d&c and a LEEP. 10 days after that, I started bleeding heavily, soaking a pad and hour for 12 hours, and had clots the size of my palm. My gynecologist ended up telling me that when you have a LEEP, about 10% of the time, approximately 10 days after the procedure, the scab on the cervix falls off. For 9 out of 10 people, the bleeding will stop on its own. For the unfortunate 1% of people, the bleeding becomes serious. If you are bleeding abnormally for more than 6 hours, or are soaking a pad an hour of faster, call your doctor or go to the emergency room. I ended up needing a blood transfusion and a whole lot of emergency care. I don't think this complication is anything you can avoid ( I was very careful to take it easy), because that is what I was told by my doctors.

I had LEEP done in mid wk of June..after 5 days i had my period then it didnt stop for 8 days and i was bleeding profusely. I went to see my doctor, stopped the bleeding by using scab cells, after 2 days i was in the ER, they did the same thing, the next day, i was in the ER again due to profuse bleeding and my cervix had to be re-stitched at the ER, after 4 days, i had my period again as i was told in the ER (4th trip to the ER though that was just like 15 days since my last period) coz i used 4 soaked pads in just a few hours, nothing done at the ER after waiting for 8 hrs, then it stopped just spotting for 4 days...today i just visited again the OB gyne coz i am bleeding profusely. She packed it with mung cells to stop the bleeding and given me birth control pills which i hope so might help stop it...i have schedule for ultrasound tomo since this bleeding just comes and goes. I am so stressed with this...

Me too! Im a lil scared but if your not filling a pad every hour your OK!!!

Hello ladies!
i had Leep done 4 weeks ago. It was all fine and i didn't bleed at all till a week after, which I thought was just my period coming early but my doctor told me that it was from the procedure. He put some medicine on my cervix and i didn't bleed again till earlier last week. I went to see my doctor and he put some medication on my cervix telling me that it should be ok now. However by evening that same day i started bleeding again - bright red blood and when i use the bathroom something that looks like pieces of vaginal tissue come out. I am supposed to see my doctor again in two days, shall i wait? the bleeding is not so bad nor is it heavy, but it's just really scary looking. Any ideas? Has this happened to you?

I had a leep done about a month ago. Two weeks later, I finally got my menstrual. I started to pass clots, some as big as 5 inches. I was very concerned because I knew that it had to be from the procedure. My OB said to take advil to help with the clotting and it stopped the following day. In the end, I ended up bleeding for 14 days straight. My normal period cycle is usually 4-6 days. If you are clotting and over filling your pads, you should go to emergency. My own concern, is having an incompetent cervix from this procedure. Anyone out there with this problem?

I had the proceedure done on 4/14/09. i seem to be very constipated and today the 16th finially had a BM. Normally i would go at least 2 times daily. After my BM today I had bright red bleeding. And now everytime I go to washroom there is blood., I am not soaking through pad's though. I am not due for my period for at least another 2 1/2 weeks so It will be intresting enough to see what happens then. Not too much pain afterwards. But some mild crapping. Much less cramping then with the colospcpy.

I had a LEEP procedure done on 4/8/09 at the same time I had a tubal ligation. I had to go under general anesthesia because of the tubal. Well, because of a complicated c-section 2 yrs ago, the surgeons deemed it to risky to complete the tubal so they stopped and it wasn't completed. They did go ahead with the LEEP procedure and the surgery went fine. I was told to rest, limit movement, and no heavy lifting. Two weeks after the LEEP I got what I thought was my period and I was in constant discomfort. It started with some light bleeding (same as my normal period) then on day 3 started heavy. I went to see my gyn and he believed it was menstral bleeding so he did nothing. After 5 days I was still bleeding moderatly but not soaking the pad and the pain was getting worse, so I called the gyn. I was asked to come in to be examined. The bleeding was from the LEEP site and I was suffering for a bacterial infection. The gyn applied a paste called FERRIC SUBSULFATE MONSELS directly on the bleeding area to stop the bleeding. I was in tears because it hurt and burned extremely bad. Now, I have been put on bed rest for 3 days. It's 4/24 and I still haven't healed from this procedure.

My second leep was on 4/22/09. I started to bleed on 5/1/09. Just light and no pain or discomfort. On 5/08/09 I started my period, and it was like any normal period, But on 5/15/09 (little over a week), I started to bleed heavy, and passing huge cloths. (4 - 5 inches). I went to the ER, the dr packed me once, and the packing passed a 1/2 hr later, then another dr came in and stitched and packed me and put me in the ER to monitor over night. 1/2 hr later I bled thru the packing again, my bp dropped and they took me into ER to stop the bleeding. What an ordeal. I'm home now day 3 with no more bleeding, but uncomfortable from the stitches. WOW!! Now I have to start my recovery all over again, because of the stitches and the burning the dr did to get me to stop bleeding. I just want to get better!

hello there,

I also had the lletz procedure about 31/2 weeks ago. i went straight back to work after feeling fine over the weekend. to be honest i didnt take it that easy the first week i work in retail and was doing stock,moving boxes. i began bleeding like a period thru the week, then on day 9 i hemmoraged - i was also passing huge clots. I went to the ER and they gave me antibiotics thru a drip and hormone tabs to stop the bleeding. i was sent home on the monday and rested, then on the friday i started to bleed again (not heavy but i freaked!) i then went back to hospital and they re-burnt my cervix to stop the oozing. everything was fine last week but then 2 days ago i started to bleed again like a period, my gyno told me to expect this as reburning me started the recovery process again, and week 2 and 3 u will generally bleed.
i get my period at the end of this week too. im very scared, does anyone have any tips? or time frames to expect when it starts easing up?

I had the Leep done on 6/12/09...and only had some clear/brown discharge for 1 week. On day 8 I started bleeding bright red blood like a period...and some cramping started. I beleive some type of tissue was just past...could be a scab. I will watch to see how bad bleeding gets. I did though exercise 2 days after procedure and did walk briskly for 1 hr today...which might of triggered the bleeding. Good luck to all of you...but I think doctors should inform that this is more commom then just some discharge.