I have used a tampon about 4 times already. will that strech or break my hymen? i was very careful. also, every time my feet get cold i start having cramps and white mucus. is that normal? i am a virgin and i don't know if this is normal. plz help. thanks.

also... should insterting a tampon be painful? i felt no pain whats so ever, but i was uncomfortable while i was using it.

NO. The hymen is a very flexible fold of skin with a big ol' hole in it which safely allows menstrual flow to escape and similarly lets a tampon through it the other way with no damage!!! it wont break by using tampons!

Personally I have never heard of someone breaking their hymen with a tampon. But rumors drift around, I should expect they were using it a bit stupidly to manage to do that! also: how could they tell their hymen was bleeding if they were on their period anyway? It doesn't make sense!
However the heck they managed to do it: it is VERY rare. If using them properly it would certainly not hurt you!

Cramps and discharge are NORMAL during your period, they are called period pains! and do not happen because of tampons! More that because you will have a tampon in during your period you may associate the tampons with the cramps. but this is not the case: periods give women cramps. not the tampons!

If you are feeling discomfort from the tampon, you haven't inserted it far enough. When insterted properly into the vaginal canal, you can't feel it there. Your fingertips might get a bit messy! Hold the tampon applicator securely at the ridged end and push until your fingertips only just touch flesh, then insert! Don't put it half way in!

Seti, why on earth are you writing such things on here, trying to scare people who are asking genuine questions?

In 99.99% of cases a tampon will not tear your hymen. A hymen is a thin membrane which effectively makes your vaginal opening smaller, but it still has a large hole in the middle. This lets out any fluid from inside as the uterus clears itself out each month (ie your period) and it sufficiently large to allow a tampon in. Many women don't even tear their hymen when they have penetrative intercourse because the hole is so big.

All hymen are different, just as all women are different, so it is theoretically possible that you could tear your hymen, but it is incredibly unlikely.

Cramps, cold or tingly feet are perfectly normal during your period - as said above, this is exactly why it is refered to as 'period paids'.

Inserting a tampon should not be painful - this is due to the mucus you describe acting as a lubricant. This is a good thing and part of how the body works. Sometimes tampons are uncomfortable until you have got the hang of how to insert them properly.

All this info is usually on the instructions in a box of tampons - it's worth reading!

Would you expect the tampon manufacturers, in the box or on their web sites, to tell you the truth about what tampons do to your hymen? And have you noticed that the same people who "inform" you that your hymen is of no importance, or a nuisance to be gotten rid of, are the ones who claim that a tampon won't harm your hymen? Amazing!

A medical book says: "If the intact hymen is tight, as is often the case, it will be ruptured when the tampon is inserted." As the hymen absorbs your menstrual blood, it gets wider rather than longer, and its removal tears the hymen again.

You should be very proud of your virginity and very careful to protect it. Don't insert anything into your vagina, don't touch your hymen.

Ladies,
when I was 16, I tried to use a tampon with applicator. The box didn't say it will break my hymen. However it did :-(
When I inserted in the tampon, I felt something broke, it was slight pain for a brief moment, and there was a suddenly flow of blood coming out. After that, when I had my first sexual experience, I got no blood coming out. So I know it has to be because of that.
Note: I am not an active person, I don't engage in vigorous activities. I have never ridden a horse before.
So if you'd ask me, I don't think its impossible to break hymen thru tampon (with applicator).. although I dunno the odds of breaking hymen with tampon (without applicator).
I suspect that since it was my first time using a tampon (back then), I had inserted the applicator too deep in somehow.
Accidents do happen :-)

In short, the majority of women should not have a problem using a small tampon (with applicator).

If you have a Imperforate (totally closed), micro perforate (small opening) or separate (split in the middle) hymen, then using a tampon could rupture the hymen.

Yes you can break the hymen from using tampons!!!!!
Dont worry about it most girls have broken theirs even if they are virgins.

also, every time my feet get cold i start having cramps and white mucus. is that normal? i am a virgin and i don't know if this is normal. plz help. thanks.

Dear lalala: I don't think anyone addressed this question. Obviously if you are seeing white mucous you aren't menstruating. When you ovulate your basal (early morning waking up) temperature is at it's lowest. Also you will secrete a white sticky mucous. This means your are in your fertile period. In fact you are probably fertile about 5 days before and a few days after. For many of us we can feel when the ovum burst on our ovary. It will alternate from side to side each month. You may feel it as a sharp pain and then a dull crampy pain for a while. And you may feel like you have cold feet because your body temperature is lower. It always makes me want to snuggle with my husband. lol Lets hope that's much later in yourt life. Your ovulation should happen about 14 days after your period begins.

Really I think that virginity has anything to do with hymen. The hymen can be broken if you're very athletic, but besides that: it is very hard for you to break your hymen with a tampon. The companies say that you can't because, yes they don't want you ladies to scare, but also that it's very very rare for this to happen.

You might break it depending on what type of hymen you have. Your chances of breaking it are increased if youi have a septate hymen, like i did before i broke it inserting a tampon. It hurt a little and bled some, but now it doesnt bother me. Get a mirror and look. and don't be afraid to ask you mom/aunt/neighbor/doctor. My friends didnt know what a septate hymen is, so just make sure you ask somone who is a little older.
this website shows the different types of hymens

you wont tear yr hymen using tampons. ? ! it only tears if u use sth tts too big like a super heavy duty one. I tore mine alr n I'm barelyy 15. Did it by fingering. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA didnt realise it broke till I saw a blood over the bathroom floor.

yes it can i have not lost my viginaty yet and my hymen is ripped no one nos i used a tampon and it was to go swimming i dont want to tell my mom my mom thought that i had sex ones so she tretens to take me to the geno and im scared but still yes it is very possable

Even stretching or sports can cause a hymen to break. Your mom is just worried about your well being, however, it is VERY common to break your hymen by means other than sex.

i lost my virginity when i was 15 i didnt bleed, sucks cause my idiotic boyfriend now my husband thought if you dont bleed you werent a virgin, so stupid i was very atheletic cheerleader track softball etc.. oh yeah the first time i used a tampon i was about 13 and mistakingly i used my non virgib friends super jumbo tampon it hurt so bad when i inserted it the girls in the stall next to me asked me if i was okay, as i walked bowlegged to the cafeteria and then mistaskingly abruptly sat down almost cried got up and said its enough i cant do this and went straight to the bathroom to remove it which was very painful. but i always had horribly bad periods it sucked.. i mean when i had my kids i didnt even cry cause i was kinda use to the contractions because they felt just like my cramps!!!!!!!!!!!! thats sad

in very few cases does the hymen actually rip and does so when the tampon is not inserted correctly. however, it will stretch the hole in the hymen which ur period flows through but it doesnt break it. it being stretch will actually decrease your pain when you first have sex. :) hope it helped