Hello, I have read most of your very helpful posts on kicking the Afrin problem that I have had for nearly a decade. I actually started the using my best breathing nostril and not using a drop of Afrin before I even read that someone said to try this to heal one nostril. Bought the Neti pot too and rinse 3 times a day with the Saline packs CVS gave with the pot. Also in between rinses I use the CVS Saline spray 5-7 times a day each nostril to moisturize my dry sinus sockets. I feel like I'm going crazy at night every 3-4 hours waking up, squirting saline, then blowing it out. Tonight I am trying the pouring 5 squirts of Saline Spray in my half empty Afrin bottle and just spraying 1 time like I always do in my bad nostril. I forgot to mention like a week a ago during this bad allergy season in which I can still not taste fully that I woke up in a panic because I couldn't breath. I literally got up from a 4 hour sleep and put my sneakers on and started walking for miles just to get some air flow as I walk. This really panicked me the next few days later and decided to make a ENT appt asap. I tried Prednisone 6 months ago to kick the habit the first time with some nasal spray probably Flonase that did not work. I hated the feeling Prednisone made me feel. My girlfriend even said I don't like the way you act on that stuff lol. I felt jittery and had to accomplish too many things. Anyway, I hurt my back at work and needed an MRI. This is why I started my decision to kick this Afrin addiction (Bc thats what it is). I could not even start the MRI's because laying on my back I could not breathe and started getting serious Claustrophobia. I feel like a big baby a grown man can't suck up 20 minutes in a MRI. I now know I need to heal my Afrin addiction first before I jump into the MRI and not waste anyones time. I also got a prescribed valium and a open MRI waiting for me to avoid any other issues. I am going home from my night shift and hoping the ween off method works. I do my very best to NEVER use this Afrin again at night for breathing relief because it really controls your life and is soooooo hard to quit. Even the minimal user like me at night. Wish me luck and thanks for letting me vent :)

I found the best method to stop using Afrin was cold turkey.
Yes, I'm not going to lie, it was misery, it was hell, but it's only agonizing the first 2 nights. You just have to get through those 2 nights. After that, day by day gets easier and easier.
It's worth it. You will breath so freely. You will feel like a whole new person.
Afrin ruled my life for a long time and also kept me very sick. I finally had enough. I wanted to enjoy my evening out of dining without being interrupted by sneezing, running nose, shots of Afrin. So one night I just decided to toss out all the Afrin in the house.
It was the worse night of my life. I didn't sleep one wink. The next day was hell. My head felt like it was going to implode. My nose was completely blocked. It was almost unbearable. But I went all night without Afrin, I couldn't give up now.
Night time came. It was dreadful. I had to sleep sitting up, but I did sleep. I was too exhausted to fight it.
The next day I noticed my head wasn't as groggy. My nose was still stuffed but bearable.
That night I slept again. I couldn't breathe out of my nose but my head was clearer.
I woke up and I could breath out of my nose. It was slightly but it was progress. I felt so good.
That night I slept good. My nose wasn't as clogged. The anxiety was gone too.
Next day, I'm breathing easier. I can also smell again. I didn't even realize that my sense of smell was affected until that moment when suddenly the scent of the outdoors was passing into my nostrils with ease.
Day by day it got better. By the 10th day I was completely breathing, day and night, without any congestion.
I haven't touched Afrin since.
My advice to anyone that is ready to quit nasal sprays: Tough it out. Cold turkey.
It is worth it!