My father has been diagnosed with vitreous detachment. He is 72 years old and is already shortsighted; this is another eye problem he will have to deal with. The good thing is, as I have heard that this is nothing serious and that it should be gone in a while. But I still have my concerns; can this condition lead to blindness?

Well, even though it really is not a serious condition, there is a small percentage of possibility of retina getting damaged. This condition is all about eye fluid, which changes its structure and therefore causes some minor symptoms. But there is a really slight chance that fluid might harden just enough to damage the surrounding tissue, including retina, and that might cause serious problems.