Hello, folks. My brother was diagnosed myopia. I must admit that he does not use glasses as often as he should. However, lately he has been experiencing poor night vision. I am afraid he might get night blindness. I would like to know whether myopia can cause this. I would appreciate all your advices.

Hello. Night blindness can be caused by different factors. Myopia is just one of them. In myopia, a person has troubles with focusing their eyes. Far objects seem blurry. A person has problems adjusting to darkness. However, there are other possible causes. The lack of vitamin A can be guilty. There is also inherited condition called retinitis pigmentosa. It is related to retina problems. With the elderly, cataract can be responsible. In any case, your brother should visit ophthalmologist and report him this night blindness.

Hi there,
Myopia is a condition that is also known as nearsightedness. Now this condition happens when physical length of the eye is much bigger than the optical length where the light is not able to come to the back of the eye. I am not sure how long has your brother lived with this condition but he has to know that he has to wear his glasses as much as he can. I am not also sure if this condition can cause night blindness. Maybe he has some more problems with his eyes. He should see his doctor to check his eyes once again. I hope this helped you in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco